Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint sealant

hot_h2o

Question

A couple of months ago I got a bottle of the newer paint sealant with the  coconut smell. So I decided to apply it as best as I know how.   I washed and used fallout cleaner. Then I clayed the car. Followed by another wash. My car did not need a buff or correction as the paintwork was pretty well in check.  I then applied the sealant by hand. Loved the application, smell, and removal, oh and the smell I loved, did I mention that. Paint was super shiny and slick as can be. Problem I ran into was that after about 2 weeks the slickness and water beading was minimal, almost non existence. I was very upset about this. I thought I did something wrong, so I tried the process over again, this time on my work car. This is garage kept 24/7. It’s a command suv for fire department. Did the process all over again. Again about 2 weeks or so the beading was terrible and slickness was gone. As much as I like Adams I was hoping for this to last longer for a sealant. I haven’t tried Adams waxes yet or correction compound because I have been upset with the sealant. I use Adams car wash and glass cleaner exclusively as I this these products are one of the best out there. Love the soap due to the no residue left. So, am I doing something wrong or does the sealant really not last?  

6 answers to this question

Sorry the Paint Sealant is not working properly for you.  It should last 4-6 months depending on conditions.

After two weeks, it should still be beading and slick.  It sounds like the Paint Sealant did not get a good bond with the paint.

What did you use for lubricant when claying?

Which shampoo are you using for the wash?  To get the best bonding, then the paint needs to be stripped so that the paint is completely clean and bare.

Was the applicator for the Paint Sealant clean?  Was it previously use for anything else, or how was it washed?

To rule out an issue with the actual product, I would do a test section on the hood.  During the wash, use some All Purpose Cleaner to clean the paint, and immediately rinse well (do not allow the APC to dry on any of the paint).  Then wipe the hood down with a new plush towel and either Coating Prep or 50% Isopropyl Alcohol.  After this dries, apply the Paint Sealant.

2 hours ago, TheWolf said:

What did you use for lubricant when claying?

I used Adams quick detail

Which shampoo are you using for the wash?  To get the best bonding, then the paint needs to be stripped so that the paint is completely clean and bare.

I used Adams blue car shampoo

Was the applicator for the Paint Sealant clean?  Was it previously use for anything else, or how was it washed?

I used a brand new foam applicator

I’m not sure what else to do to get the sealant to bond. Also I did it in a heated garage so temp was not an issue.  

This has come up quite a bit of late. I’m second guessing my LPS job too; I never got to see what just LPS did as I H2O GGed right after LPS and then reapply it ever other week or so. I figure that if the LPS did/does have an issue, the HGG will work as protection and beading agent.

I would try stripping it off, rinsing, and wiping down each panel with Alcohol/water or Adam’s coating prep and applying LPS immediately over the paint.  Truly naked and clean paint will want to grab at your finger pads and will feel clean but almost sticky in a way as it’s willling to accept whatever comes in contact with (which if you don’t apply anything to naked paint, is exactly what it does).  I went right from my strip wash to LPS and I wish I had wiped down with rubbing alchohol just for peace of mind. 

We are fighting the same thing with a friends wife's car, the paint just seems to not take any protection. That being said I'm convinced it is the paint because the same products on our trucks work/last how they are suppose to. We still haven't figured out what is going on with it, it's a trial & error kinda thing now. 

You didn't mention if there was any other LSP on your paint before applying Adam's paint sealant.  If there was that's the problem, and should've used a paint cleaner like Revive Polish before applying.

9 hours ago, JHL88 said:

You didn't mention if there was any other LSP on your paint before applying Adam's paint sealant.

I did mention in the first post I used fallout cleaner (iron out) then Clayed the car and washed prior to and after the decon.  Paint was clean.  This happened on both cars I tried it on.

Edited by hot_h2o
Mistake