Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailed the engine / Now it won't start

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

I posted this over on GMFULLSIZE with no luck yet so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

When I bought this truck I had to make a second trip to get the truck because it wouldn't start. The boy had his mechanic fix it. He said something got wet and had to be dried out. That was Aug of 2010. No problems until today. I detailed the engine and then washed the rest of the truck. After everything was done I cranked the truck to clean the windows. No problem this time. I did one side and was going to turn the truck around to get the other side and it would not crank. It's doing the same thing it did when I bought the truck. Everything works, it just will not engage the starter to crank.

I have pulled every connector that I can get to apart and used the air hose to dry it out. Even the big PCM module. I think that's what it is called.

When trying to crank I noticed the gear shift indicator doesn't show that the truck is in park. It has the P R N D 3 2 1 but no indication as to where the shifter is.

Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I'd like to fix it so that I don't have to worry about going through this every time I detail the engine or drive it in the rain.

Thanks

I found this:

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/...?year_key=2005

If the truck doesn't know it's in park I don't think it would engage the starter to crank. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and hopefully I can get this fixed under some kind of recall.

Put the truck in neutral, if it has no idea what gear it's in it won't start. It won't start in anything but park and neutral. Try that...

Thanks. I tried to start it in neutral yesterday. I do think the indicator not working is the problem. My sister's fiancé has an 05 Yukon and his does indicate that it's in park when switched on.

The link I posted in the op is for a recall on the indicator. I'm not sure if they'll honor it with the truck being 6 years old but it's worth a shot.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I :bow:to each and every one of you. I've never been a member of a forum where everyone tries to help as much as everyone does here at Adam's.

Finally got it going. Yesterday a local mechanic (mainly a transmission and rear end mechanic) told me to unplug the PCM module and use the air hose on the connectors, spray with WD-40 and use air hose again. Well that didn't work.

Today I talked to another mechanic (this one does pretty much everything) and he suggested I take the PCM module apart and dry inside. So I disconnected the battery, removed the module and took it apart. Then used a hair dryer on it for about 20-25 minutes. Put everything back together and it cranked right up.:banana:

I will say after taking the module apart I can see why it got moisture inside. The gasket is a joke! I have no doubt this will happen again if I don't get a better seal on the module.

Thanks again.

Archived