Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman's Atlanta Detailing Clinic

Well folks, it was a mixed bag kind of weekend for me. I got to go to one of my favorite hot spots and do a detail clinic, but the trip had it's share of mishaps. First off, my Vette took a semi tire to the front end, which will end up costing me around $4000 out of pocket since most of the parts damaged were aftermarket and the insurance company won't cover that stuff. I won't even bother going into details, the situation pains me enough. Here are some pics:

tire_wreck1.jpg

tire_wreck2.jpg

Just when the weather is finally getting nice enough to drive my baby... :mad:

So the clinic did go well, and some interesting people drove some distance and took time out of their busy schedules to get there. The subject that I chose to use was the ultimate in thrashed finishes. This is not a car you will see somebody use in any video demo but me. I don't pick something nice to work on, I picked the trashed of the trashed. After all, anyone can make a new car look nice, but this thing? Check it out.

atl_clinic3.jpg

This thing had mad swirls and etched in damage. It was beyond making perfect (without repainting). Just the type of car that I like to use to prove my point. Even the tail lights had swirls.

atl_clinic4.jpg

Look at how hard and deep the scratches were and the etching was beyond normal repair methods.

atl_clinic1.jpg

Even though the damage was beyond complete repair, with the right tools and some know how, you can make something this bad look at least this good. These were NOT your normal repair procedures and thus, the folks at this clinic got to see me break out all kinds of tricks from my bag of goodies. I fixed everything but the paint chips.

atl_clinic2.jpg

Brit showed up with her new Infinity that she debadged. The only problem was that the debadging left ghost images behind. So I got to show the folks how to remove the ghost images. I believe that this is a G37.

atl_clinic5.jpg

This required a little advanced method of correction.

atl_clinic6.jpg

One thing about the picture above. If you look at the center of the wet sanding damage, you will see that the area is smooth. As you expand from the center and work your way out, you will notice that the smoothness turns to what looks like dots. The dots are what is known as orange peel and the center damage is where I have removed all the orange peel from the area that I'm working. You learn and are shown how to do this stuff at my clinics. Not that you should try it at home, but at least you get some idea as to what it takes.

Here's the final results.

atl_clinic7.jpg

No trip out of town would be complete without me getting my grub on. I couldn't decide on what I wanted so I got a sampling of everything. Very wise choice! Steve and Celeste joined me at this BBQ joint and the ribs were delicious.

atl_clinic8.jpg

Well that all folks. For those traveling to see me at Eric's this weekend, I look forward to seeing you there. :thumbsup:

The Junkman

I was so sad when I saw your Vette!

Thanks for clearing up the "clear coat" damage on my G. I can't believe the guy who put the badges on pushed it so hard it messed up the clear. Ugh!

Mmmmm Dreamland ribs are sooooo good!!!! Their banana pudding is to die for. I buy it by the pint lol!

Archived