Customer Service 866.965.0400

Got my new PC and did a test

hankdog101

Question

Does the product you use really make a difference or is it the user or both? I just ordered the Adams SHR, FMP and Superwax but prior to getting this I did the following. It's a black mustang. I used a clay bar on the area first then used the Meguiars Swirl X with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Orange pad, followed by the Meguiars Deep crystal polish with a white pad and Meguiars gold class liquid wax with a gray pad. Used about 5-6 passes with each. The Swirl X took out the swirls in the paint but I noticed it left behind very small swirls. After all the steps above I took the car out in the sun and I can see these very small swirls. I tried to take pictures of them but they won't show up on camera. You have to get kind of close to the paint to see them but I feel like it's holding the high gloss look back. Seems like I took out the main swirls marks but added these smaller one. Any idea ?

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cranked the PC up to 5 and now the marks are gone. Used the Orange pad with SHR then the White pad with FMP. I'm getting it, I hope ! Going to watch the videos, again, before I hit the whole car. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on the results.

There you go! Orange pad/SHR @5K, then White pad/FMP @5K, then stand back and smile at the results. With more practice your technique will improve and you will begin to understand the process more. You will also understand more what you are seeing as you polish, and what you can actually remove with the PC, Polishes, and Pads. Work the SHR until it goes clearish and looks kind of like a thin film of vaseline. Then switch to White Pad/FMP and make it shine. This stuff will make that black gleam.

You should have started with SHR. Then you wouldn't be doing a lot of passes with FMP.

He was doing a test spot to see if FMP/White would get the job done. It didn't so now it is time to go SHR/Orange followed by FMP/White once the heavy stuff is corrected.

Here's a pic after a test with Orange pad with FMP (still going at this with the least aggressive combo) - used 3 pea size drops, made one pass, mist the pad and one more pass. Then White Pad with FMP - 2 passes. To the eyes looks great, major swirls are gone but under the bright lights ( here we have 2 halogen work lights and the flash from the camera. Still seeing some small holograms. Question is do I go:

1 - Orange pad - SHR then White pad FMP or

2 - Do I need to make more passes with the combo above (Orange pad - FMP - White pad FMP.

It's these last little holograms I can't get out! :pc:

But with a 600+ horsepower Shelby, are you going to see them as i zip by :burnout:

What speeds are you running the PC at? With SHR the finish should be nearly perfect if not a bit of a haze on it. With FMP the finish should be flawless.

I run SHR at 6000opm (I believe AJ runs at 5000) and I run FMP at 5000opm.

This was my result a few weeks ago on my DD.

I was more less using the slow cut method. I started at a 3. Last pass at a 5. Did you go Orange Pad with SHR?

The slow cut method is NOT to be used with the type of polishes that Adam's sells unless you are trying to flush out a pad that is caked with product.

Even then, you only do enough passes to flush out the pad, and then you continue from that point forward using either Adam's technique or my technique (which is not the slow cut). You'll be working on the car into next winter using the slow cut and Adam's type of polish. That technique is made for paste type polishes as I clearly posted in that thread, not liquid type polishes.

Either watch Adam's videos and do it exactly as he does or watch mine and do it exactly as I do. The two techniques are NOT interchangeable. Pick one and stick to it EXACTLY as you see it done in the videos. You are making this way more complicated than it is by trying to experiment with this. Wait until you actually know what you're doing before you try and get creative.

Ugh... Listen to AJ... He's mastered this... One or the other... Make sure you are using methods that people are using Adams products with.

AJ or Adam. One or the other work. I've done both...

Chris

I cranked the PC up to 5 and now the marks are gone. Used the Orange pad with SHR then the White pad with FMP. I'm getting it, I hope ! Going to watch the videos, again, before I hit the whole car. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Great news :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Made a huge difference which is why I placed another order last night with Adams for additional products and detailing stuff. I think I paid someones college tab this week with all the orders I placed. Can't wait to hit this whole car. Big Shelby car show next weekend, going to roll into that looking good.

Made a huge difference which is why I placed another last night with Adams for additional products and detailing stuff. I think I paid someones college tab this week with all the orders I placed. Can't wait to hit this whole car. Big Shelby car show next weekend, going to roll into that looking good.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the rest of the car, if you need any advice on the products feel free to ask away :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Made a huge difference which is why I placed another order last night with Adams for additional products and detailing stuff. I think I paid someones college tab this week with all the orders I placed. Can't wait to hit this whole car. Big Shelby car show next weekend, going to roll into that looking good.

I hope that order included some microfiber towels. That "made in China" towel that you're holding will gladly restore the swirls to your paint job. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=6522&stc=1&d=1303526735

I knew someone would catch that. I did order 3 towels after watching the videos again. I'll be good to go next week when they arrive.

You would have gotten past me had this been morning time. I'm much sharper at night. My girlfriend use to call me the Prince of Darkness. :willy:

Archived