Customer Service 866.965.0400

iPhone help!

JJ1o87

Apple whiz people, help me! Long story short, a software update for my phone destroyed my phone. I had to do a restore on another mac and then start from scratch. Only problem is my last "backup" was from about a year ago. The only things i lost were contacts and pictures I got/took since the backup until present. Did I lose those completely or is this saved somewhere? I thought every time you synced a backup was made, or so it said every time I synced. I apologize if grammar is terrible and if this doesn't make sense I'm just frantic right now. Thank you for any help.

Are you syncing to Mobile Me ?

If so everything that you have selected in Preferences should be there.

I don't have mobile me. I just set up Time Machine last night with a 500gb G drive.

Are the pictures/contacts stored anywhere on my hard drive when your phone does that "backup" before it syncs? Because if it does I can go to Time Machine and get that folder from last night and all is well with the world.

I don't have an iPhone but Time Machine takes EVERYTHING !!!

Ok that's a good sign. Providing I can get the files from my hard drive.

Does anyone know if this is possible?!! If you help me successfully I'll give you a 1,000,000 dollar Adams Gift Card. :banana:

Read this

There are two cool and free tools. They not only show the Name of the iPhone but extract the files aswell.

For Mac download

iPhone / iPod Touch Backup Extractor

for Windows

Reincubate: Labs: Backup Extractor for iPhone: extract and restore files from an iPhone backup on Windows or Linux

I saw those. But I don't think those will work. To do a backup you have to right click the iphone logo in itunes and hit backup. I apparently haven't done that in a very long time. Every time you sync your iphone with itunes it says, "backing up" before it syncs. I assumed like a putz that it backs up your phone. Apparently not. What I'm trying to find, yet unsuccessfully, is if you can find a place where the "pre sync" backups are stored.

Jeff, it might of backed everything up before it tried to update the software. I blew up 2 iPods in 2 days all because of Apple's software updates. The Apple store was very helpful in getting all my data back on my 3rd iPod touch.

If you can't figure it out, give your local Apple store a call. They should be able to help you over the phone.

They are in

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

They fixed it in 10.5.5, prior to that Time Machine would not backup the iPhone backups.

Been there too. It's the same backups that I made back in Nov. 10.

I think I really screwed the pooch on this one. :(

Jeff, it might of backed everything up before it tried to update the software. I blew up 2 iPods in 2 days all because of Apple's software updates. The Apple store was very helpful in getting all my data back on my 3rd iPod touch.

If you can't figure it out, give your local Apple store a call. They should be able to help you over the phone.

Thanks Dan, if nothing else works I'll call them tomorrow.

dude click on your address book on your mac... every contact you had should be in there

Yeah thought of that after I resolved the whole thing. W/e, crisis averted lol

Only thing is I seem to be missing 20 songs on my phone that are in my iTunes, but I'll deal with that another day

Yeah thought of that after I resolved the whole thing. W/e, crisis averted lol

Only thing is I seem to be missing 20 songs on my phone that are in my iTunes, but I'll deal with that another day

i heard running your phone over with your 2 ton diesel makes it restore all the music ...

Anytime you do an update, ALWAYS make sure you have a recent backup. If not, back it up.

I've had scares in the past, but iTunes holds on to everything so it makes it an easy task to put it all back.

Wait till you guys see iOS5 for the iPhone, Pod, and Pad... WOW! It's so much better.:banana:

Chris

Archived