Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirls and General Detailing

RSCamaro

Question

Hello to all,

Last week I purchased a 2010 Camaro RS with a leather interior and i've got to admit I love this car. The only draw back is...the car is black :snap:

The car is in great shape and I would like to keep it that way, so I did a little research and have come to the conclusion that Adam's products are the best of the best when it comes to car care.

The only issue I can see at this point is that the car has quite a few swirl marks that I would like to see gone. I understand that with the color black this is going to be an ongoing battle but at least i'll always have something to do :D

My question is what is the best way/best products to use to remove swirl marks and what products do you recommend in general to start off with? I appreciate any advice you guys can give me and I am excited to see the results that Adam's products have to offer.

14 answers to this question

Congrats on the new purchase! Id say start out watching the volume 7 videos. Theres a link at the top of the page. Once u familiarize yourself with those youll be ready to make that sweet black ride shine! Id plan on getting a porter cable (pc) so spend the extra money on a package deal....you wont reget it,

:welcomebanner:

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Welcome. I have a 2011 Black LS. My first 'detailed' black car. Welcome and congrats on taking the blue pill.

Pics please! Pics PLEASE even of just some swirls.... or how un-swirled it is!

2 ways - Hand polishing. Which is just that but through Adam's systems you can achieve some amazing results. Go to adamspolishes.com and choose hand polishing and go through the products.

Machine Polishing. Beginners/novices should start with the Porter Cable 7424XP polisher. It's pretty idiot proof and yields some great results when the proper technique is used. (see Adam/Dylan's videos or Junkman's Videos, all on youtube and here on the forums - Junkman's Corner).

More experienced users prefer the Flex XC 3401 VRG polisher. It's alot more agressive and powerful and therefore not really for someone who doesn't know how to handle a polisher. The results are spotless.

Start off with the largest Adam's Kit you can afford, use Junkman for or Camaro5 for a coupon code (10% off) and dig in.

I have posted a video or two of my 'transformation'. Was more a goof than a how-to.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/14159.htm if you're bored.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcomes!

I can't say thanks enough for the quick responses...i've taken your advice into consideration and I think i'm going to go with the basic Porter Cable Polishing Kit. I can't wait to get to shining! :pc:

Now that i've been pointed in the right direction, is it harmful to use the Porter Cable Polisher on the car? I'm sure that once or twice wouldn't damage the finish, but how often would you guys recommend using the polisher?

I will be sure to post pictures but unfortunately it won't be for a couple of days before I'm able to get those up and then of course after my kit comes in I will post "after" pictures to show off the results! Thanks again for your help!

And to not add any more swirls, do not underestimate the need to use the 2 bucket wash method and the great white drying towel. If you can afford it, I'd recommend at least the Sidekick. Since your car is black, you may want to get a foamer. Use the search function and you can find lots of threads on using a foam gun.

I agree with the other posters in that kits are the best way to go, also, watch for those daily specials.

Now that i've been pointed in the right direction, is it harmful to use the Porter Cable Polisher on the car? I'm sure that once or twice wouldn't damage the finish, but how often would you guys recommend using the polisher?

Honestly, the only way to damage your paint with a PC is to swing it around by the cord and hit a body panel. :D

As far as "how often": the only real answer is "as often as it needs it." Proper washing technique and good over-all care will keep your finish nicer, longer. My "show" vette could go for a full good polishing once a year, and a touch up with only FMP after about 6 months, depending on how much I drive it/wash it, etc. My DD truck, which sits outside in Florida 24 hours a day, 365 days a year probably needs attention every 4 months or so.

The other factor is how perfect you want it. Maintaining 90% perfect is relatively easy for a garaged car...even black...100% absolute perfection will put you in the loony bin. :willy:

Welcome and have fun!!

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Foam gun is a must. We, of course, recommend the Adam's model which has been out of stock and discontinued due to a single part of the gun being discovered to NOT be made in USA and Adam's is a USA-made company. When this was discovered, refunds were offered and the product was pulled. Eric Thompson @ Thompson's Racing still has a few from what I can tell, but they are offered as a kit. You may be able to email him and see if he has one he can sell alacarte. Adam's Basic Foam Gun Kit

Otherwise, check Amazon for a foam gun. Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I use the Gilmour. It's a tad on the cheap side but I've had it a year and still works fine.

As far as hurting your car with a PC - Hmmm...where's that link ...

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/junkmans-corner/4034.htm

Yeah... that.

Kick around Junkman's corner and watch alot of these movies REPEATEDLY.

****WARNING****** DO NOT MIX TECHNIQUES. If you like Junkman's way - use HIS TECHNIQUE ONLY - do NOT mix them with the techniques of other's. If you like Adam or Dylan's, use theirs. Once you have time behind the wheel, you can develop your own technique, till then use someone else's.

Keep that pad level and in motion. Don't bother bumping to speed 6 with the PC. Stay on 5 or under. The PC pads have a tendency to separate around the backing plate if not used properly. When removing them, slip finger under the velcro to the center of the pad and then remove, never tug them off the backing plate by grabbing the outer section of the pad and yanking them. There's a thread (or 7) involving this in "product polls" section. Read the one started by yours truly.

Pick up a set of focus pads and learn how to use them as well.

The Junkmans Corner! - Adam's Polishes Forums

Hope I've helped.

Wow, I came to the right place! Yall have been extremely helpful!

I'm thinking i'll be spending the remainder of my day watching videos in Junkmans corner...as far as a foam gun goes, the dealer I was recommended appears to be sold out on the Adams gun so I think the Gilmour will do just fine. Boy this stuff adds up fast!

I'll post pictures and keep you guys up to date as things begin to come in and results begin to come around. Thanks again for the help yall!

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Hello boys and girls - the Junkman! comin' at ya with a brotha in his garage production - with a new video seee-reeez on how to ....

Hold on while I bring you in closer to this puppy.

Lol. I love the Jman.

go to his youtube channel and watch the one on his trained cats.

now THAT's talent!

BAHAHAHA!!! Junkman I'll keep you posted. After having watched your videos I now know that the orange pad goes with the orange solution...and the white pad goes with the white solution! :) I really do appreciate the videos though, there was a TON of information in there that I never knew or even thought about.

BAHAHAHA!!! Junkman I'll keep you posted. After having watched your videos I now know that the orange pad goes with the orange solution...and the white pad goes with the white solution! :) I really do appreciate the videos though, there was a TON of information in there that I never knew or even thought about.

The more you watch them, the more that you will realize how much you missed the first time you watched them. Even after the third time. :thumbsup:

The more you watch them, the more that you will realize how much you missed the first time you watched them. Even after the third time. :thumbsup:

That is really true. You THINK you know how to do it, then you try the first time and discover what you missed/forgot/misconstrued. Practice makes perfect.

Archived