Customer Service 866.965.0400

Convertible top - plastic rear window

c5gold

Question

Wondering whether I can use the polishing pads on my electric drill

to attempt to remove some "foggy" spots (perhaps 3-4" in diameter) on my convertible's plastic rear window. The window is actually in pretty clear condition except for those few round areas where the plastic looks fogged and I'd love to remove them. I have tried PlastX and although it makes the entire window look somewhat cleaner and shinier, it doesn't take the spots out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

I've used SSR, SHR, and FMP via Flex on my buddies 1990 Mustang convertible. I just wish I took pictures, it was literally night and day. He couldn't see out of it before, and while it wasn't perfect after...he could see again and it looked a million times better.

What we did was actually use a 2x4(you could even use a book or something) and had him in the car pushing against my polisher with that so that the plastic wasn't getting stretched when i put pressure down on it. I wouldn't try it without that, because between the pressure and heat...you're going to warp the window.

I thought the 1990's had a solid window though...

After reading this, it peaked my interest and I did some research. They did come with solid windows from I think I read 87-93...weird. He bought the car last year, so I'm assuming that the original window broke or something and they used a vinyl replacement. That's my guess.

Regardless, it's definitely not the stock window. Thanks for pointing that out buddy.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'm going to try the "2x4" or "book" trick as that's kind of what I was thinking of. I really don't think any non mechanical solutions will do the trick.

Thanks again.

Archived