Customer Service 866.965.0400

2x4 Load capacity?

ChargerMatt

Anyone know the weight capacity of a approximately 20ft long 2x4 spanning across my garage ceiling sitting on end supported in the middle by a few 1x6s toward the middle?

I know it's impossible to give me an accurate measurement, but will it support my 300 pound *** doing pull ups?

at a 20' span possibly, but I would say highly doubtful.

At that length you will get a lot of flex and vibration.

If it doesn't flex or move, I should be good then? It moves a little bit when I go back and forth when starting and ending, but not while I'm in the process.

I would say highly doubtful that you would have any issues. I know while I was standing up my truss' during construction I was on one end and my buddy on the other the comined wieght was close to 500 lbs and the span was about 45 feet and didn't have any issues. He alone weighed around 300 and walked out in the middle all the time with no issues. Is it newer or older construction?

As Big O mentioned the best way is to slide a 2x4 perpendicular to your truss' and even take it a step further and build a small wall (2 2x4's and a top and bottom plate so that it would look like this II) and that is maybe a quarter inch taller and tap it into place and then remove it when your done if your still nervous about it.

I would say highly doubtful that you would have any issues. I know while I was standing up my truss' during construction I was on one end and my buddy on the other the comined wieght was close to 500 lbs and the span was about 45 feet and didn't have any issues. He alone weighed around 300 and walked out in the middle all the time with no issues. Is it newer or older construction?

As Big O mentioned the best way is to slide a 2x4 perpendicular to your truss' and even take it a step further and build a small wall (2 2x4's and a top and bottom plate so that it would look like this II) and that is maybe a quarter inch taller and tap it into place and then remove it when your done if your still nervous about it.

I'm going to go out and get a 2x6 and run it on top of the 2x4s and screw it in then attach my pull up bar with some floor flanges. (Not in that order).