Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stainless Polish?

Coach66

Question

How are Adam's metal polishes on stainless? Can I use the Porter Cable DA to get a mirror shine on some trim I have. Here's the problem.

I have a '68 Mustang convertible. The outer trim piece above the widshield (reveal molding?) I believe is stainless, and none of the parts people carry that particular item. Its in good shape other than the fine scratches all over it, but it stands out like a sore thumb against the new side and bottom molding pieces that are new chrome. Any help is appreciated.

John

3 answers to this question

That's a real good question John !!! I am adding some SS pieces under my hood soon and was wondering the same.

I know many people who clean first with compressed air to remove dirt then glass cleaner then shine with detail spray. Lets see what Adam and the crew have to say :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Putting a shine on good SSis not an issue. I have some SS polish that does that pretty well. The trim piece I am talking about has millions of spiderweb/hairline scratches, nothing big or deep, but MILLIONS. I need something with some cut to it and probably more power than I can muster with the ol' shoulders. I live somewhat out in the boonies, so a metal shop with a buff wheel is not within resonable driving distance.

How are Adam's metal polishes on stainless? Can I use the Porter Cable DA to get a mirror shine on some trim I have. Here's the problem.

I have a '68 Mustang convertible. The outer trim piece above the widshield (reveal molding?) I believe is stainless, and none of the parts people carry that particular item. Its in good shape other than the fine scratches all over it, but it stands out like a sore thumb against the new side and bottom molding pieces that are new chrome. Any help is appreciated.

John

The Metal polishes are not an abrasive cut. They are a chemical cut. To do the kind of alteration you are speaking of is going to take something more abrasive than the Metal #1 & #2. Metal #1 will remove oxidation #2 makes it shine.

Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for a product that would be useful. There are acids, but I don't think you need anything that aggressive.

You are probably looking at a buffing compound with finer and finer abrasives.