Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need to Clean your Cotton Gauze Filter?

Chewy

Question

This weekend I did my fall service on the G8 and part of that service includes removal and cleaning of the air intake system including the MAF. So I pulled the filter out and MAN was it filthy. I mean BAD! I have the Vararam Ram Air system which puts the intake right above the radiator, which means a lot of bugs.

So I set out to clean it with the "Green" filter cleaning and oiling kit. I was NOT having any luck at all. It was cleaner, but not clean. I grabbed my APC with the foaming nozzle and drenched it and let it sit. 30 minutes or so I go back and start rinsing. BAM! TONS of black is coming out of it, whereas before it was coming through as clean water.

So... If you need to clean your cotton gauze (IE K&N style) filters, I recommend Adams APC. The stuff is tough on the dirt. :thumbsup:

Sorry, no pics or vids this time. You'll have to trust me on this one.

Remember, when cleaning these types of filters, use NO compressed air, NO pressurized water, NO hot water (warm or cold), and air dry ONLY. The cotton is VERY susceptible to damage/shrinkage. I smack mine on the garage floor to remove the big chunks and may blow some out using the air from my mouth/lungs, but NEVER use any pressure.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

11 answers to this question

This weekend I did my fall service on the G8 and part of that service includes removal and cleaning of the air intake system including the MAF. So I pulled the filter out and MAN was it filthy. I mean BAD! I have the Vararam Ram Air system which puts the intake right above the radiator, which means a lot of bugs.

So I set out to clean it with the "Green" filter cleaning and oiling kit. I was NOT having any luck at all. It was cleaner, but not clean. I grabbed my APC with the foaming nozzle and drenched it and let it sit. 30 minutes or so I go back and start rinsing. BAM! TONS of black is coming out of it, whereas before it was coming through as clean water.

So... If you need to clean your cotton gauze (IE K&N style) filters, I recommend Adams APC. The stuff is tough on the dirt. :thumbsup:

Sorry, no pics of vids this time. You'll have to trust me on this one.

Remember, when cleaning these types of filters, use NO compressed air, pressurized water, and air dry ONLY. The cotton is VERY susceptible to damage. I smack mine on the garage floor to remove the big chunks and may blow some out using the air from my mouth/lungs, but NEVER use any pressure.

Chris

Good to know! Have you tried our APC head to head with the new K&N Power...they have?

Good to know! Have you tried our APC head to head with the new K&N Power...they have?

No sir, but I did see somewhere that they had it. Maybe Auto-Zone when I was picking up the oil.

On a side note... 9.59 per qt of Mobil 1 extended mileage oil! HOLY CRAP!

The oil change was over 100 bucks! lol I run it out to 7500 miles though. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chewy

No sir, but I did see somewhere that they had it. Maybe Auto-Zone when I was picking up the oil.

The oil change was over 100 bucks! lol I run it out to 7500 miles though. :thumbsup:

Yeah that's the reason no more Royal Purple for me!

The Power...stuff is pretty harsh like Judd Nelson.

I never thought to use APC until you brought it up. Cool!

Yeah that's the reason no more Royal Purple for me!

The Power...stuff is pretty harsh like Judd Nelson.

I never thought to use APC until you brought it up. Cool!

Yeah, I expense it as its a company car, but the Enclave I pick up the tab on. I used high mileage M1 in it. 110,000 and counting.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Next time check out Walmart for your oil, by far the cheapest and sometimes on sale. Mobil 1 HM usually runs around $28 for a 5 qt. jug. Also some Cary Royal Purple as well.

Next time check out Walmart for your oil, by far the cheapest and sometimes on sale. Mobil 1 HM usually runs around $28 for a 5 qt. jug. Also some Cary Royal Purple as well.

While I HATE spending that sort of money, I'd gladly do it before shopping at Wal-Mart. :patriot:

Edited by Chewy

While I HATE spending that sort of money, I'd gladly do it before shopping at Wal-Mart. :patriot:

I've given the last 10 years of my life to this country but also like to save money on what I can. The government only pays us so much. I typically do all my shopping on base.

I've given the last 10 years of my life to this country but also like to save money on what I can. The government only pays us so much. I typically do all my shopping on base.

I was in NO way saying you weren't a good American, and I absolutely don't judge people on where they shop, so please understand I meant NO disrespect to you. Heck, most of our friends shop there. I haven't been to one in almost 2 years, and that time I was out of town and had no choice. :willy: lol

The local AZ is less than a mile from my house, and it's easy in easy out and I know they'll have the stuff I need. There's more than price involved for me.

Awesome Tip! I tried to clean the K&N filter in My 08 HHR SS and the Airaid filter in my 10 Camaro SS/RS and used the cleaners that came with both. They didn't work very well. I had to keep doing them over and over. Next year I'll remember to try APC!