Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to do, What to do

1BADCUMMINS

Question

Hello everyone, so during the summer i did a car show with my truck, (I got 1st place in my class, Thanks Adams!). I did the full correction to the truck the week leading up to the show, SSR, SHR, FMP, MSS, BG, and then finished it up with Americana. Needless to say it took me quite a while. All the while I was doing this I was working 11 hours a day and working over an hour away from home. I was tired and in a hurry and didn't realize something, I didn't realize that the MSS had a cure time. Well, fast forward a few months, I didn't really get too much time to play with my truck as I was working 7 days a week, 11+ hours a day. A few weeks back i was able to get my truck out of storage and I noticed that I had some holograms. I did some research on here and found out that i had to let the MSS cure for 12-24 hours. I have some time right now and i wanted to redo my truck. My question is should I go through all of the steps again before I apply the MSS since I kinda did it in a rush the last time or should i just clay and apply the MSS, BG, and Americana again. And of course strip the wax with some all purpose cleaner. Thanks Everyone!

6 answers to this question

Inspect the paint for swirls and scratches once you strip and clay and if the paint looks good I would at least go back with the Fine Machine Polish to brighten up the paint a bit. Then go with the MSS.

Joe,

You're saying you have holograms underneath the Sealant? MSS won't leave holograms if it isn't cured out before wiping off, rather it will cloud.

If you have holograms and you want to get them out, use either the PC or the Flex with FMP on a White Pad, after you have strip-washed and clayed the truck. From there, it's then ok to apply more MSS.

Mook

Thanks for the replys guys.

Mook- when I applied the MSS I pretty much did one panel at a time and wiped it off just like I would with Americna. I didn't let it sit very long before wiping it off. I read somewhere here on the forum that if you apply Americana too soon before the sealant cures that the MSS will smear or leave the appearance of holograms. Sorry if it seemed like it was underneath the sealant. I know for a fact that I didn't have holograms before the sealant was applied.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Mook- when I applied the MSS I pretty much did one panel at a time and wiped it off just like I would with Americna. I didn't let it sit very long before wiping it off. I read somewhere here on the forum that if you apply Americana too soon before the sealant cures that the MSS will smear or leave the appearance of holograms. Sorry if it seemed like it was underneath the sealant. I know for a fact that I didn't have holograms before the sealant was applied.

You need to let MSS setup for 30 minutes before wiping off residue. From there, examine it over the next 12-24 hours for extra hazing. At the 12 hour point, if there isn't any additional hazing, then feel free to layer.

I prefer to put BG on in between the MSS and APW.

Mook:2thumbs:

@mook- what is the benefit of the bg in between or just a personal preference.....just seems odd after a full correction...(coming from meguiars a year ago....with there glaze it seems to cause more issues in between..)

Just another detailer helping others like so many have done for me....

The true benefit in my opinion, is by laying BG down between the two protectants, you gain all the benefits of BG (metallic flake and pearls raise up if you will, lots of depth, killer pop and shine), you trap it by putting APW on top. Thus, getting more than a couple weeks longevity on the BG.

I've used this combo, rather the last year, QS in lieu of MSS, on anything and everything I can get my hands on. It's also the combo that helped me win First in Class at a recent show.

Mook