Customer Service 866.965.0400

My First Full Detail Experience

compudiva

Question

Well, I did my first full detail yesterday.  Strip wash, clay, 2 step polish, sealant, glaze and wax, interior and of course tire/wheels, hit the engine bay nothing major.

All of this took me 9.5 hours.  The car was a Toyota corolla.  This is a co-worker's car who graciously 'donated' her car for my first full detail; as I have never used a polishing machine before.  I do enjoy the detailing process and as many of you I am thinking of starting something on the side.  So, we came up with a barter payment - she is design my logo and stuff.  

So, I started with the wheels.  They seemed to take forever but the deep wheel cleaner and apc did an amazing job.

On to the wash - a rinse, foam gun soak and 2 bucket wash with the car shampoo and some apc for the stripping action.  Pretty simple and easy enough, despite the occasionally battles with beatles - bugs - arrgghh!  Dry it with a GWDT.

Next, we pull it into the garage, out of the sun.  Whew, was warming up out there.  I started on the interior first - vacuumed, and used the interior cleaner.  Being detailed oriented I feared that I would spend too much time on the interior so I decided to move on.  On to the clay bar - should be able to get faster here.  This is pretty easy too, have done this before on my vehicles.  Now, on to the new part - polishing.

The polishing was not too bad but I was really getting discouraged when non of the scratches were coming out.  I had put a mark on the pad - a tip from one of the videos.  That helped as I was able to notice how fast the pad was turning.  Much faster than in the video.  So I applied more pressure and FINALLY a scratch disappeared!!!  YAY!!!    :2thumbs:  Then I went back over some of the others.  They got better but I did get a little timid over some scratches which were taking many passes, so some I did not get out completely.  I eventually realize that the polish was flashing very quickly - I guess do to temperature and humidity.  I think the 2 step process took me like 2 hours - I can probably shorten this time some as well.

Next was the sealant - this was pretty simple.  Must wear a mask next time.  While that cured, I returned to the interior - hit the windows, applied the TID, upholstery cleaning - ugggghh the door jams.

Returned to exterior.  Applied applied glaze and wax.  Pulled out of garage to apply final touches.  It is probably about 7pm by this time and I started at 9am.  I forgot about the gas tank door - was pretty gunky in there.  Did not get it clean but was better.  I opened the trunk and arrrgghhh, just needed to clean around the opening.

So, about 8:30 my friend returns to pick up her car and is like- OMG, this looks like new!  Who, it is so smooth - omg!   :lancer:

So some things I learned - 

Must wear back support

Don't be timid about applying pressure during polishing - get the mark to spin  close to a second.

Definitely be organized - thankfully I was but I see how that is a big thing.

Pictures coming...

Next week - my mom's explorer.

Thanks Doug.  I was using the new 2 step polish products.   And I do believe I fell into the trap of adding more and more polish.  At some point I did add more detail spray only to the pad and was able to continue with just that but then sometimes I added too much spray and did have some polish slinging about.   :o  I am definitely hearing a reoccurring theme here - polishing takes time.  This is good to know.  Looking forward to my next detail.  A lot of work but I love the shine after.

Yes, it sounds like speedof the polisher over the surface is the thing.  Also, are you cleaning the pads every panel?  Sounds like a necessary part of the new polish/pad process. Slow is the way to go.  If you think about it, if we hurry and get done and are disappointed, it feels like we wasted our time, right? I wish I could do a car in 2 hours!

I go slowly, work a body panel at a time, take a break and drink some water every hour.  I don't switch body panels until I have the results I want.  If I rush, I probably won't get the results I want, so I take my time and inspect my work as I go. 

Right now i am using the foam pads.  Not sure, but is there a way to clean those as you are polishing?   Nevermind, just re-watched the video for the cleaning which I do have but thought I could use it for the microfiber.  So much to learn and remember!!!  I think I will invest in the microfiber pad for the next time.

So, on average how long does it take you to do a car with moderate correction needs - including the wash, clay, etc.

Edited by compudiva