Customer Service 866.965.0400

Needing some Advice

JJ Stin

So, for the last couple of months my truck has been down with a major engine problem. After all the procrastinating and saving up some money. I'm finally getting my truck worked on and getting a new engine. I'm just sticking with the 5.3, always said I'd get a 6.0. But, I'm not going too. Don't wanna mess with it and have to get a retune and everything. So, I'm getting a newer engine, with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty. So, if it messes up, its warrantied.

Looking into the future, I'm thinking about once I get it back and everything. I have thought about selling it, not gonna trade it in, but sell it privately so, I can get more out of it. Its in excellent shape being an '07 model. Even thought its paid off, I really don't want another truck payment, but the miles are racking up. Currently have 172K miles on it, next thing that will go out will be the transmission. I just have a feeling it will, since the one I have doesn't last too long. Especially, with my setup. I don't see it lasting too much longer. Then that be couple thousand more. That would just be horrible

Sure its cheaper then having another truck payment and such. Only reason I thought about selling it is, to get out of some debt. I just have one credit card and a personal loan that i just wanna get em paid off and make a good size dent in my fourwheeler payments. Just little things like that, I wanna make my credit good again. With my miles racking up, longer I wait. Less I'll get out of it, ya know?

Today, I test drove a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 1500, black of course. Man that thing is super nice! I like the Sierra's better in the 1500's, but the HD's I like the Silverao's better. I always said, my truck will be a Duramax. But in reality, I just don't need one and the up keep it just a lot more. But, if I do stick with a 1500, I'm gonna get a 6.2L. That's fully loaded, Crew Cab and everything. Just get the SLT, since it be cheaper then the Denali. Pretty much getting the same stuff. Anyways, my plan is to get a new truck by next Summer. It'd be a Sierra 14 or 15 model, won't be brand new, but with low miles on it. I really like almost everything about the new trucks, only thing I didn't like is the backup camera, doesn't seem too clear. It seemed like it had some lag on the screen as in turning the station or adjusting the volume. Things I can get use too, I guess.

With all the being said, what do you guys think about what all I said? I was looking for some advice and such. I know some of yall would say keep my truck and just ride it till the wheels fall off. But, I know some other big things will go out soon and having that money if I sold it, would help me out a lot on some stuff. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I have no idea why its highlighted for and can't undo it, story of 2014 for me.

Edited by JJ Stin

I would go with the GMC over the Chevy truck.  The GMC will have little more luxury.  We had great service out of the GMC that we used on the farm (now trying a Ford and my Dodge some).  We had great service from the GMC over the Chevy, in the fleet where I use to work. 

Do you need the HD over the standard?  What are you going to use this truck for?  Are you needing a truck or could a SUV or crossover do what you need.  Couple questions to think about.  So your current truck turning 8 years so your turning around 22k - 24k a year.   It you want to buy now I would see if I could find a 2014 (never been titled alot of deals to get the prior year models off lots).

I would go with the GMC over the Chevy truck.  The GMC will have little more luxury.  We had great service out of the GMC that we used on the farm (now trying a Ford and my Dodge some).  We had great service from the GMC over the Chevy, in the fleet where I use to work. 

Do you need the HD over the standard?  What are you going to use this truck for?  Are you needing a truck or could a SUV or crossover do what you need.  Couple questions to think about.  So your current truck turning 8 years so your turning around 22k - 24k a year.   It you want to buy now I would see if I could find a 2014 (never been titled alot of deals to get the prior year models off lots).

I do like the Sierra's better in the 1500's, but like the Silverados better in the HD's. I really don't need a HD truck, but I always said my next truck will be a Dmax. But actually in reality, I don't need one. But yes, I do need a truck hauling my fourwheeler or when towing a trailer.  My goal is to get a 2014/2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab, loaded out with the 6.2L.

Funny that you say you liked the Silverado's in the HD better than the Sierra's.  All personal preference.  When my wife and I looked at the HD's we didn't care much for the Silverado's.  I know it is all just cosmetic differences.  You will like everything about your truck but the gas mileage.  I know your considering the gasser as opposed to the diesel.  I ended up picking up another car later on as a commuter due to the crappy fuel mileage of the truck.  I figured the money I would save on gas would help offset another payment and wear and tear.  Maintaining a diesel isn't cheap.  Or any large vehicle for that matter.  It cost me about $20 a week to put gas in my commuter and probably double that for the little running around that my wife does when she drives the truck.  

Without knowing what your cash flow reality looks like its hard to make any serious recommendations.

Its always nice to get away from having any payments, but if your cash flow reality is tight and high/unexpected expenses (like major auto repairs and ongoing maintenance) sometimes being able to finance a vehicle that will have a warranty that covers most anything can be the better way to go. Just depends on your finances and how you're budget is setup currently.

Do whatever makes the most financial sense for you.

Without knowing what your cash flow reality looks like its hard to make any serious recommendations.

Its always nice to get away from having any payments, but if your cash flow reality is tight and high/unexpected expenses (like major auto repairs and ongoing maintenance) sometimes being able to finance a vehicle that will have a warranty that covers most anything can be the better way to go. Just depends on your finances and how you're budget is setup currently.

Do whatever makes the most financial sense for you.

Thanks man, That was very helpful. I only thing is I definitely don't want another payment, But once I drive it and see it everyday it seems like that payment is worth it, imo. If I'm gonna get a new truck might as well get, what I want & settle for nothing less.