Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brand new car, order of product application?

BoCRon

Question

So my husband and I just picked up our new MINIs last week. We have been pretty busy so we haven't had much time to drive (not as much as we'd like anyway). 

On a good note, this means they've been mostly garaged while we get the time to do a full detail.

I'm currently in process of cleaning up my old MINI to sell and see some mistakes I'd like to NOT repeat if possible.

My biggest issue on the other car is the white residue in the black plastic trim and gutter line. I used a combination of Prima and Adams on that car over the course of 4 years. I thought I was pretty careful but apparently not so much.

So I was thinking that maybe a couple of good coats of SVRT or Quick Sealant on those parts to begin with may offer some protection. I have done a coat of Paint sealant/Glass Sealant and treated the interior but that's it so far.

I'm going to do a coat of HG&G this weekend so was wondering the best order to go. I was thinking a light clean of the plastic followed by a coat of SVRT or Quick Sealant. Then rinse the car off to do a coat of HG&G. Oh, and should I treat wheels and tires first or last in this process. They are brand new as well so I was thinking a light clean before protection.

I have pretty much every Adam's product there is except the Patriot Wax and the Brilliant Glaze.

Annette

8 answers to this question

Congrats on the new cars Annette!

I would suggest cleaning the wheels first, and let them dry.  Clean the car, apply HG&G to the paint, dry the car, and add SVRT to the trim.  The wheels should be completely dry by this time, and ready for a coat of QS.  

I did the same thing to a Audi A8 last weekend, and it came out great!

Thanks, Michael, for the input. According to the video, it's ok if I get the HG&G on the trim so I'm guessing the SVRT over the top of that is just fine.

I've never used the Quick Sealant so am looking forward to trying it out.

Annette

And as to the wheels. Is it a good idea to use the Deep Wheel Cleaner as a first prep? I'm thinking the wheels are like the paint in that they probably picked up rail dust, salt water and general crud from the ride across the pond and up to Atlanta.

Annette

And as to the wheels. Is it a good idea to use the Deep Wheel Cleaner as a first prep? I'm thinking the wheels are like the paint in that they probably picked up rail dust, salt water and general crud from the ride across the pond and up to Atlanta.

Annette

DWC maybe overkill on new wheels, APC or even Car Wash Shampoo should be sufficient.  If you have some old 'dirty' clay, you may want to clay them before the QS.

What I do for the black plastic trim (new or old) is use the Quick Sealant. Quick Sealant is my favorite Adams product. I spray it on the trim and use a microfiber pad to even it out. I then have a microfiber towel to remove any excess.  I also use the Quick Sealant about 3 inches above all the plastic trim on the paint. That way when I am applying Americana or Patriot I know I do not have to get anywhere near the plastic trim/decals/emblems. The Liquid Paint Sealant also does not stain the trim but I always start with the trim and Quick Sealant. I have used the new HG&G on the trim and it works well too. You really do not have to use the SVRT on the plastic.

You could use Deep Wheel Cleaner on new wheels but that really is for wheels with a lot of brake dust. As mc2hill said clay them then use the Quick Sealant. The rail dust would be a bigger problem on the paint. For that I have always used clay. What color are your cars?

Once the car is washed you could start with the wheels/tires or the paint and trim. What I do is start with the trim then go to the paint and then finally the wheels.

Congratulations on your new cars! Post some pictures when you get done.