Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using 50% Isopropyl Alcohol without Dilution

jakerodz7

Question

Hello Again Adam's Forum,

I have been working on getting my Dad's Tundra Crewmax fully detailed and am about to finish the polishing process.  I have seen before how there are a lot of suggestions about wiping the paint down with an Isopropyl Alcohol solution in order to leave the paint as clean as possible for the sealant or wax.

I have a few questions about this:

1.  I picked up an Isopropyl Alcohol solution that says it is 50% (Swan brand) at the local store.  My question is do I still have to dilute this 1:1 with water or do I used it straight out of the bottle?  Most posts talk about Alcohol <90% and diluting that 1:1, so I am not sure if I have to do it in this case? I don't mind doing it, I would actually prefer it as I get more bang for my buck, just curious as to if it would work effectively to clean the paint?

2.  After I am done polishing do I strip wash the car first then do the Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down or vice versa?

3.  What areas are safe to wipe down besides the paint? Trim (both plastic and rubber), glass, etc? 

As always thanks for all your help! I will of course post pictures of the finished product by tomorrow night hopefully!

6 answers to this question

1.  Use the 50% straight, no dilution.

2.  I would say most would do one or the other, not both.  But doing both won't hurt anything, just takes more time.  I have found that doing a final wipedown with IPA right before applying sealant gives me one final inspection to see that I have removed all the polish residue.

3.  Just use the IPA on the paint and glass, since you will not be putting any sealant or wax on the trim.  It won't hurt the trim if you get some IPA on it as you wipe the paint, just not necessary to do the trim.

1.  Use the 50% straight, no dilution.

2.  I would say most would do one or the other, not both.  But doing both won't hurt anything, just takes more time.  I have found that doing a final wipedown with IPA right before applying sealant gives me one final inspection to see that I have removed all the polish residue.

3.  Just use the IPA on the paint and glass, since you will not be putting any sealant or wax on the trim.  It won't hurt the trim if you get some IPA on it as you wipe the paint, just not necessary to do the trim.

Thank you for all the helpful info Dan! You are the man!

Last question just to be sure, Do I need to do anything special after the Isopropyl wipe down prior to applying the LPS?  Or just wipe on, wipe off with a second towel on the whole car and once I am done start applying the LPS?

Thank you for all the helpful info Dan! You are the man!

Last question just to be sure, Do I need to do anything special after the Isopropyl wipe down prior to applying the LPS? Or just wipe on, wipe off with a second towel on the whole car and once I am done start applying the LPS?

Nope, just like your last sentance.