Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning up cast aluminum?

SweetDaddyDelicious

Question

Hey guys, figure someone here would know. You know how cast aluminum gets that dull dark grey appearance over time? Such as on an cast intake, heads, or in my case- the brake calipers?

What do you do to clean it up. I have an event coming up in a couple months and perhaps I'll get to detailing my brakes before it. (even though I'll do a track day there and put the hurting back to them)

Is there an adams miracle product that makes short work of them? Wire brush? Give me the info. Let me know the secrets!

5 answers to this question

Hydrofluoric acid! We use it on weldments to clean them before welding. It makes them a nice clean yet not shiny aluminum color.

You can buy it at most welding supply houses. Well at least we sell it...

FYI: This is bad stuff... It eats glass and skin... I use a brush and it works great.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Not looking to make them shine. Just look new. I could always polish them to make them shine. I don't think that would look good though.

Hmm, I wonder how the hydroflouric acid would work (and where I could find it around me) as well as if it would jack anything else up in the area!

You can dilute with some water and then brush it on and use A LOT of water to get it off. It won't shine a bit... Just the opposite actually.

Look for it at a welding supply house.