Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning/protecting vinyl top

mcss383

Question

Hey all, I am busting my rear trying to get my dads 66 Chevy II SS detailed by this weekend and I was wondering what was the best way to clean and protect the vinyl top. Would a 50/50 APC spray be too harsh for the vinyl? I plan on putting the VRT on it when I get it clean.

This is an original 52k mile L79 (350hp 327cid) car so I can't risk any damage to it, it is very rare.

I will post up pics when I am done. I have put in 14hrs in it and all I have done was scratch/swirl removal and one coat of MSW. This lacquer is a pita to work on. The most aggressive items I have is the orange pad and 3M Perfect It polish so it took 3-4 applications to get 90% of the scratches out. Today I plan on putting 2 coats of APW on it and polishing the glass which is also badly swirled and dirty.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

YES! I would use the interior/leather cleaner and a soft bores hair brush or his horse hair brush and then put a couple of coats of VRT on and let sit and before you show wipe it down to remove some of the sheen...

Chris

YES! I would use the interior/leather cleaner and a soft bores hair brush or his horse hair brush and then put a couple of coats of VRT on and let sit and before you show wipe it down to remove some of the sheen...

Chris

Sounds like a good plan

Thanks guys, I will have to do this next time it gets cleaned. I need to order another boars hair brush to use for just the top, don't want to mix it with my wheel brush.

In the shade, the dirty parts were not very noticeable so it was not a problem for this last show.

All I know is I need to get my shop built so I have a place to put all of my Adam's products. The wall in my living room is lined up with Adam's boxes stuffed full of goodies. My 'hobby' room is already full of gun and R/C stuff with no more room for detailing supplies. lol