Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tips for protecting chorme from road salt

dabigbratj

Question

well winter is slowly getting here and now that i have my new lift i had to get aftermarket wheels to fit. they are chrome and i know chrome and salt don’t mix well. Im looking for any kind of sealers some may use or any tips. I plan to clean them at least once a week as well as the truck.

jake

Edited by dabigbratj

11 answers to this question

well winter is slowly getting here and now that i have my new lift i had to get aftermarket wheels to fit. they are chrome and i know chrome and salt don’t mix well. Im looking for any kind of sealers some may use or any tips. I plan to clean them at least once a week as well as the truck.

jake

MSW is pretty hard to work with by hand but you can take a *little* amount on a MF applicator and apply it just like you would on paint. It probably won't last too long though even though its a sealant. The main thing is to keep them salt free and rinse out all your suspension components.

MSW is pretty hard to work with by hand but you can take a *little* amount on a MF applicator and apply it just like you would on paint. It probably won't last too long though even though its a sealant. The main thing is to keep them salt free and rinse out all your suspension components.

thanks for the input.will defiantly keep susp parts clean thinking the undercarriage spray will come in handy this winter.im good about all ways keeping it clean even in harsh winters

I've seen chrome peeling off in sheets off the back of rims from them not being cleaned regularly in the winter.That chloride stuff that they use on the roads is nasty stuff. I know someone that works for the WSDOT (WA State) and he was telling me to make sure and rinse off all my suspension parts.

UCS I think will help keep stuff off the suspension too. I beleive its oil/silicon/something greasy based.:lol:

haha well still time to get more info.did get word on a cheap sent of rims and tires i may get for winter.but i bought 35's for a reason haha

If you got really nice rims I would get some winter/rims tires. You can get pretty cheap take off 17's with some snow tires for not too much money.

If you got really nice rims I would get some winter/rims tires. You can get pretty cheap take off 17's with some snow tires for not too much money.

Shane has a good point. If you can get a cheap set for the winter then you do not have to worry about the salt as much on your rims. I know several people that have two sets for their trucks.

I think your best defense would be just keeping the rims clean. I have never had a rim problem due to salt (yet) but I always wash my vehicle a few days after each snow (but we only get a couple snows here during the winter months). If you are concerned about your suspension, just make sure its protected with paint.

Edited by DieselDude

wish it was that easy with the lift they have to have so much back spacing which stockers dont have.thanks guys it is seeming best thing to do is just clean them ofter as well coat them with wax after cleaning.

My .02 is just get some winter wheels....:thumbsup:

x2 or just clean them very well and keep them sealed! I ran my procomp chrome 17's in the winter time last year. I cleaned them once a week, but never sealed them or waxed them. They are now all oxidized and some of the chrome is flaking off! be careful! our NY salt is HARSH. :(

well looks like getting another set or wheels for winter is forsure a no go.still on the look out for a good sealer.seems most are fine by cleaning at least once a week then waxing it and they are all fine

Edited by dabigbratj

wish it was that easy with the lift they have to have so much back spacing which stockers dont have.thanks guys it is seeming best thing to do is just clean them ofter as well coat them with wax after cleaning.

Hmm gotcha. I ran the stock rims/tires on my Ford last winter and am going to run them again this winter and get new rims/tires for the spring/summer and then put a set of aggressive tires on the stock rims for the next winter.