Customer Service 866.965.0400

impact wrench help !?

6spdg37s

I got a new craftsman impact wrench its corded professional series.

I could not get the lugs off my 08 z06 with them they were too tight.

I had to use a ratchet, and pipe and tons of force...

so now is my impact wrench messed up or did GM torque my wheels to like 200 ft-lbs???

I also put the wheel back on with the impact wrench...

when i lowered the car i torqued them and they were only at like 60 ish ft lb...

If you had to use a pipe to get enough force on them it sounds like they were tightened too much. Just torque to manufactures spec and you should be golden.

Thats what I thought as well...

manufacturer specs are 100 ft-lb tq...

But see when I was putting the wheels back on I put the wheel on... hit it with the impact wrench...

then when I lowered the car, I checked it with my torque wrench and they were only at 50-60 ft lbs.

it is the proper size impact socket (19mm) and it shows no signs of slippage

when you first put the lug nuts on snug them before you lower the car then lower it just enough so the wheel wont move but not enough to take the weight of the car. hit them with the gun until snug and then use the torque wrench on them to 100 ftlbs, then lower the car all the way and snug them again drive the car a day or two or around 50 miles and snug them one more time to make sure they are tight.

well it depends who put it on to begin with if the dealer just hit them with an air impact and then you try to pull off with an electric impact it may not work. but when i first used my electric impact it took a while to get them off at first i just held it on and hit the button until it broke loose. tighten them down to 100 foot pounds then in a couple of days take the impact wrench and see if you can get them off since this time you know its at the proper torque specs if it dont work then i would take it back if it does then your fine. also get yourself a torque stick set to a little less then what you need so you can hand torque them to proper spec.

well it depends who put it on to begin with if the dealer just hit them with an air impact and then you try to pull off with an electric impact it may not work. but when i first used my electric impact it took a while to get them off at first i just held it on and hit the button until it broke loose. tighten them down to 100 foot pounds then in a couple of days take the impact wrench and see if you can get them off since this time you know its at the proper torque specs if it dont work then i would take it back if it does then your fine. also get yourself a torque stick set to a little less then what you need so you can hand torque them to proper spec.

torque stick is on the way... but if the impact wrench isnt putitng out that amount then im still scred

correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure a 1/2 inch good air impact would easily spin those off, ive never used a electric one so i dont know how they compar to a air impact.

its electric there is no air compressor

Yea I know.:banana:

i do to, im just saying, thats why it might not take those lugs off because an electric impact doesnt make as much tourque as an air impact. but whats wrong with breaking them with a ratchet and then spin them off with your new impact.

Electric impacts are not as strong as air. Not all air impacts are the same. Even if they are all 1/2". I have an Ingersol Rand that makes 200 foot pounds but it was not cheap. Now for my rant. Never ever use an impact to install any wheel on any car. You can use them for removal if you have a POS or don't care about your wheels. If you install with any method other than a torque wrench in the proper sequence you will warp the wheels and brake rotors. No maybe here its guaranteed. You need to increase the torque by 1/3 2/3 100%. This is one of those things like laying a clutch fan flat while you work on your engine. Many do it and most don't know it will do damage but it will. Once the damage is done you will never cure the brake shake for good until you replace the wheels, rotors and flanges as all will warp when heated by the brakes and replacing just the rotors will be a temp fix as the wheels and flanges will warp the new ones.

i do to, im just saying, thats why it might not take those lugs off because an electric impact doesnt make as much tourque as an air impact. but whats wrong with breaking them with a ratchet and then spin them off with your new impact.

nothing is I just want to make sure that my impact wrench isnt faulty since it cost me 170 bucks... if it is i will simply exchange it for another one.

Electric impacts are not as strong as air. Not all air impacts are the same. Even if they are all 1/2". I have an Ingersol Rand that makes 200 foot pounds but it was not cheap. Now for my rant. Never ever use an impact to install any wheel on any car. You can use them for removal if you have a POS or don't care about your wheels. If you install with any method other than a torque wrench in the proper sequence you will warp the wheels and brake rotors. No maybe here its guaranteed. You need to increase the torque by 1/3 2/3 100%. This is one of those things like laying a clutch fan flat while you work on your engine. Many do it and most don't know it will do damage but it will. Once the damage is done you will never cure the brake shake for good until you replace the wheels, rotors and flanges as all will warp when heated by the brakes and replacing just the rotors will be a temp fix as the wheels and flanges will warp the new ones.

I purchased a torque stick for 100 ft-lb which is the manufacturer spec on the car... therefore it will not allow them to be over torqued... however I do not want them to be undertorqued clearly.

Archived