Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Haze on Lexan. Need input

MrVette83

My dad has a 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. A moment ago he tells me it has a real bad film/haze on the windshield. I ask what he has used to clean it recently. He replies nothing out of the ordinary. Then remembers he Rain-Xed both sides of it the other day. The below pics were taken after I have used DS, then Adam's Glass Cleaner and cloth. When that didn't work I clayed both sides then hit it again with both the DS and the GC. The surface has no catch or drag to the finger nail. What is this and how should I get it off?

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

Well the Alcohol in the Rain-X may have created the issue. Most of the Lexan® shields are coated with a scratch resistant coating. Do you own any clear polish?

Chris

Ummm. Nothing that comes quickly to mind. I'll give you a run down of all the Adam's products that I own and you can tell me if you think any of it would work in a pinch. I have the entire Junkman Kit(single bucket system) and some VRT. That's about it for Adam's. I've got some DS called Bug Slide, it is a clear liquid spray similar to Adam's brand DS. I think that about covers most of it.

Well the Alcohol in the Rain-X may have created the issue. Most of the Lexan® shields are coated with a scratch resistant coating. Do you own any clear polish?

Chris

Also, are you saying Alcohol is bad for the windshield? I am thinking it is, but in the time it took me to write this quick post and upload the pics he had taken rubbing alcohol and used it on the windshield. Thinking it was just a thick film of one product or another and that Alcohol would cut the film.

Adams makes "Clear Polish" which works great for this application. It may be beyond the capabilities of it though.

There's more than just alcohol in it. Anything in it could have caused it.

Trying some FMP in a small small area may be worth it.

Chris

I ran out to look and see what he had in his box. He does have some MeGuiers NXT Spray Wax and mist and wipe quick detail spray. Also a Mother's offering "California Gold showtime detailer".

We're not seeing completely eye to eye on one fact. He actually blamed my tackling it with clay bar making it worse than it was. So now he won't let me try much on it. I'm attempting to show him Adam's greatness and this is a chance to do so, lol.

Adams makes "Clear Polish" which works great for this application. It may be beyond the capabilities of it though.

There's more than just alcohol in it. Anything in it could have caused it.

Trying some FMP in a small small area may be worth it.

Chris

I may try the FMP suggestion. Is it okay to apply it with just a cheapy MF towel? I don't have anything in the Adam's line other than the one that goes on my PC.

Wait Wait...Try just straight rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth...then with another cotton cloth buff the glass....then do a final wipe down with a dry paper towel. This is the way I cleaned my glass for years before using Adam's. 100% streak free.

Wait Wait...Try just straight rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth...then with another cotton cloth buff the glass....then do a final wipe down with a dry paper towel. This is the way I cleaned my glass for years before using Adam's. 100% streak free.

He did! It's NOT glass though. ;)

I think with actual glass that technique would work fine. The windshield is lexan and is impregnated with a very mild tint. Upon further questioning he used Rain-X on the inside and the outside of the shield. The inside is the tinted side. I read him the label on the bottle stating not to use the product on plastic. We hypothesize that when using the product on the inside of the glass it has somehow smeared something and dried into this smear pattern.

I've tried both FMP and SHR. Neither seemed to do much good.

Gasoline? .....just kidding....kinda....

If the lexan is coated, it doesn't matter what the material is (lexan/glass, etc). All that matters is the film on the material.

Sounds silly, but what about Dawn/water is a sprayer bottle?

Uhhh.... I don't have a 1 bucket system. You were supposed to buy the second bucket!

Okay, back on topic.

Okay, please allow me to restate my comment. I ordered my Junkman kit the week before they changed it to include a second bucket. :lolsmack:

The only reason I worded it like that is because I wasn't sure if the newest JM kit had different polishes than mine does.

Yes yes. Now back on topic. He is pretty much saying he's going to get a new windshield. I'm going to have him keep his current one though and over time as I get more Adam's products I'm going to attempt to restore it to it's original appearance.

Archived