Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Newbie !

cubano

Hello all, I've chomping at the bit to break into my new Adam's products but have had to wait. AHHHH. I will begin this weekend.

09 Acura - Black w/ Metallic Flake

Problem Areas: Entire car is swirl ridden. Been told by everyone that I'll have to take it to a pro shop to solve my issues. Well, we're about to see what Adam's will do. Paint is also a little dull. Car only has 13K miles on it but looks like it was run through a car wash every weekend. Also, the Acura dealership "washes" it after every visit. That will be a NO, NO from now on. LOL I'll post pics of this project as it progresses.

Pino

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Pino!

Congrats on your purchase.

A suggestion: start on a 2' x 2' section on one panel. Work that area with the Swirl and Haze Remover on the orange pad until you remove the swirls. Then move the Fine Machine Polish on the white pad. If it looks like you are wanting it too, move on the rest of the car.

It is hard to make yourself do it this way, but it will pay off. This way you don't do the whole car, but get disappointed with the outcome when you are done.

Glad you told me that. It reinforces my plan. I was skeptical to jump right into the Severe Swirl Remover and work down. I was almost considering trying the FMP first and see if it is effective. I'm trying to take the least "damaging" path possible. I do think however that the swirls are bad enough to use the SH right off the bat. I'm going to have to clay this thing something fierce first after I wash it. Once question I have is should I DAWN it first to make sure all the DEALER junk is off of it? Thanks for your help.

Once question I have is should I DAWN it first to make sure all the DEALER junk is off of it? Thanks for your help.

If you ask 50 people you will get close to 50 different answers but in this case this order may work well for you.

Wash, dry, wipe with 50/50 IPA solution, clay. Then start your polishing :thumbsup:

Definitly post up pics before you start. If you can, pick a spot where you can get a light fixture reflecting on the paint. When you are done, take the same photo. You will enjoy the before and after.

After you wash then (very important) clay the car. No point in doing the rest if you don't get the containaments off. Then do as Mc2hill said, he is dead on. If you don't get the results you want then step up to the yellow pad and repeat. If it doesn't look good, go green. Just make sure you complete all the steps back down to FMP and white before you step back up.

Oh, and welcome. Keep asking questions.

Man, this unlike anything I've ever seen before. People actually willing to post and help people out. Wow, I picked the right product and the right products apparently. Thanks for the support. I will post before pics probably tomorrow.

Man, this unlike anything I've ever seen before. People actually willing to post and help people out. Wow, I picked the right product and the right products apparently. Thanks for the support. I will post before pics probably tomorrow.

The pictures will really help us help you David :2thumbs:

I was almost considering trying the FMP first and see if it is effective. I'm trying to take the least "damaging" path possible.

You are correct, the use the least aggressive method first!

If you don't get the results you want then step up to the yellow pad and repeat. If it doesn't look good, go green. Just make sure you complete all the steps back down to FMP and white before you step back up.

Not disagreeing with David, but if you have the newer pads you probably don't have a yellow pad, it was replaced with the green.

That's one of the reasons we are here. Someone helped us out when we started and we felt so welcomed we stayed!

Not disagreeing with David, but if you have the newer pads you probably don't have a yellow pad, it was replaced with the green.

Yeah I still have 2 or 3 of them in the garage. I keep forgetting the green took its place. Thank you fo rthe correction.

Cubano you ain't seen nothing yet. This is by far the best forum I am a memeber off and it is a great communinty. If you have questions when you are detailing take a photo and post up. You will likely get answers quick.

Site won't let me upload pics. Says there's a security token missing. Tried using firefox & IE. Both give the same msg.

I upload to photobucket and paste in the IMG link. Never had a problem with that.

The entire car looks like these pictures. You can see why I'm nuts to get out there and work on it. I believe the second picture has what looks to be a scuff mark, which I am hoping will come out after this whole deal. Let me know what you guys think.

:pc:

Looks good don't it? I may do a test tomorrow on half the trunk, which is about 2' x 2'. Will start as follows:

1.) Wash area

2.) Dry area

3.) Clay

4.) Swirl & Haze

5.) FMP

On step 4, I may use junkman's process of 1 pass with polish, next pass with detail spray on the pad.

Does that sound smart or not?

that depends on what one pass means to you, if its one movement from left to right, then spraying with DS, then that is not needed.. if its one complete until it flashes, then hitting it again after spraying the pad with DS it wont hurt, will just make sure you have covered the area nicely.. you may even need SSR with a green pad..

Sorry, I'm part coon@ss and one "pass" means until it flashes. LOL. The more I look at the car, the more it looks like SSR may be the solution for this. I'll do some testing tomorrow starting with the less aggressive option first them progress from there if necessary. Thanks to all for their input. I will go back over all these tomorrow.

Archived