Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to put on alloy wheels for protectant

pappy

Question

I have a 2015 Honda Accord Sport that I will be doing a complete detail on in the next several weeks. As for the wheels all I know is they are alloy. What should I do to them for protection?

9 answers to this question

No worries, Lee. Just understand it's not truly made for wheels, meaning it will wear out faster than on the paint due to a variety of factors (e.g., high heat from brakes/wheels). It you do go this route, maintain with HGG every few washes. If you want the longest lasting, most durable option, consider coating.

I recommend just going with H2O Guard and Gloss.  I tried the LPS on my deep offset truck wheels and it seemed to burn off pretty quick, not worth the labor to apply it to all of the spokes.  I think that anything other than a Ceramic Coating is going to burn off quick so something that's laborious to apply is a waste of time.  I've actually moved to a touchless silica spray that gets it from wash to wash and keeps them easy to clean.  H2O GG is your best bet IMO from Adam's.  

9 minutes ago, pappy said:

Thanks, looks like my next order will include HGG

Yes, definitely. My favorite product from Adam's. Don't forget the grey borderless towels (get the kit). Check out this thread for more.

44 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

I recommend just going with H2O Guard and Gloss.  I tried the LPS on my deep offset truck wheels and it seemed to burn off pretty quick, not worth the labor to apply it to all of the spokes.  I think that anything other than a Ceramic Coating is going to burn off quick so something that's laborious to apply is a waste of time.  I've actually moved to a touchless silica spray that gets it from wash to wash and keeps them easy to clean.  H2O GG is your best bet IMO from Adam's.  

Agreed about burning off quickly. IMO, PS is pretty much wipe on, buff off. Yes, care must be taken to spread evenly, and it's a little more difficult than HGG because of that, but not so much that I'd call it laborious. Coating, on the other hand.... 

Now, it you want super easy, you could also go with Wash & Wax over everything, including wheels.

Edited by falcaineer