Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dilution of Deep Wheel Cleaner

StubStang

Question

Hi all, 

I recently sold the Mustang and picked up a 2017 GTI. The GTI comes with painted rims and using car shampoo is a pain and doesn't necessarily clean the wheels deep enough. I have a tn of deep wheel cleaner at my expense. What is the ratio I should use to dilute the deep wheel cleaner so I won't hurt the paint on the rims?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

I use a 5:1 dilution with the IK foam sprayer and wheel cleaner im able to do each wheel twice if needed with near flawless results. follow with an H2O Guard and Gloss drying process. plenty of lubricity for safe agitation with the proper Adams wheel cleaning tool lineup. 

Edited by zholder1227

6 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Keep in mind that the older wheel cleaner used to be diluted for paint. The newer product is generally used full strength. If it’s not so contaminated, cutting it should work fine though. 

i do have the newer version of it, but should i still be cautious about it?

4 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

It depends on how contaminated your paint is. If you think it’s light, try to cut it. Worst case is it takes a couple of applications. The better the iron decon is, the easier the clay is. 

In short I have to treat the rims like the car paint? Because thats a pain in the theoretical buns. 

I switched to the ECO instead. I have a set of powder coated wheels and a set of gloss black wheels. The deep wheel cleaner left a little bit of staining on the gloss black wheels. I might dilute the whole gallon. 

23 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’re treating the wheels like wheels. They collect contamination.  A combination of brakes and heat make a high contamination environment.

You typically don’t clay a wheel. Iron decontamination is the big thing. Then seal/coat them. 

Wheels pose many challenges. 

*Painted wheels pose many challenges* lol.

I checked the ratio chart, I'll most likely do the 1:1 dilution ratio or try out the iron decon, either seem like they won't damage the paint.

18 hours ago, SSilver07 said:

I switched to the ECO instead. I have a set of powder coated wheels and a set of gloss black wheels. The deep wheel cleaner left a little bit of staining on the gloss black wheels. I might dilute the whole gallon. 

Yeah this was what I was afraid of, thank you for the warning!

On 6/25/2018 at 12:58 PM, StubStang said:

Hi all, 

I recently sold the Mustang and picked up a 2017 GTI. The GTI comes with painted rims and using car shampoo is a pain and doesn't necessarily clean the wheels deep enough. I have a tn of deep wheel cleaner at my expense. What is the ratio I should use to dilute the deep wheel cleaner so I won't hurt the paint on the rims?

Thanks!

I have a 17 GTI as well,  right now I have been using some of the current wheel cleaner they have on the, front wheels. I use a my wheel towels in a bucket with some car shampoo and the have come out great, I usually dry and use some Buttery Wax on them. Has been a great system, they shine crazy and stay clean, and are easier to clean in future washes.