Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass sealant and colder temps

Scaryjello

Question

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience applying glass sealant in colder temps ( < 50 Fahrenheit). The instructions on the bottle say to apply between 50 and 80 Fahrenheit. Winter in NY rarely gets to that range and am wondering if anyone has tried this before. I’ve used Adams glass sealant on other cars before, but never in the winter. 

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

I haven’t unfortunately.  I either apply before or after I know temps will be that cold or apply while in a garage where it’s warmer.  If you already have applied sealant in the past and just need to get through until the spring and you can’t get into a garage or something, consider glass boost perhaps after driving the vehicle and the windshield is still somewhat warm from the interior being warm or rain x does sell a washer fluid additive.  2 ounces get added per gallon of fluid I believe.  It applies a small bit of protection when the washer fluid is used and it buys time until warmer weather hits.

Edit: I don’t have an Adam’s glass sealant but I do have an Adam’s glass boost handy and I don’t see any temp warning on the label so maybe consider a bottle of that if you have sealant applied already and just want to freshen it up and you’ll be stuck in a deep freeze for a while...

Edited by Parad0x

I applied the sealant to this car, but it was about 4 months ago and there does not appear to be any water beading at this point. I could park it in my garage over night, (wife gets the garage spot normally) but it’s not sealed that great and it gets pretty cold in there. I guess I would have to wait until the temps rise to about 30-40 outside which would hopefully mean my garage is 50 or higher. 

Good idea about applying it shortly after driving though, especially after running the windshield defroster. 

I’ve applied in my garage when outside temps were in the teens or 20’s and it was fine.  The garage isn’t heated but it still stays high 40’s to mid 50’s in there because it is attached to the house.  So if yours is similar, I honestly don’t think you’ll have a problem. 

I applied glass sealant to two windshields before we left for Florida about a month ago. I believe it was in the low 40s. I cleaned with Glass Cleaner and applied sealant. I didn't have any issues. We didn't see any rain on the way down but after being there for a few days, it rained and the sealant appeared to work as expected.