Customer Service 866.965.0400

Decon after decon... never ending?

Coderedpl

Question

I made a post about shelf life in another topic but that wasn't the only issue I ran into when I was working on the car. I didn't have any iron remover, but I did have a whole brand new gallon of DWC.

The problem I ran into, was that I just couldn't get neither the wheels nor the paint totally decontaminated. 

Take for example wheels:

I'd spray, let the product sit, it'd start to change color, and then I use my brushes, microfiber towel, and rinse/clean from my bucket that also has soap in it. 

After they look clean, I rinsed. 

But then I sprayed them down again with DWC, and once again color change started to appear, and this happened a few more times. 

Same goes for the paint, I just kept getting purple spots even though it was cleaned. 

Sadly I went through an entire brand new gallon of DWC combining paint decon, wheels and brakes. 

Any ideas? Anyone deal with this before?

2 answers to this question

I have not,  when was it done last?  How old is the vehicle?  Do you live in a vulnerable area?

Its weird because I iron decon’d my parents white car yesterday, for the first time in a year and barely had any color change.  They live just off of Interstate 95, near trains tracks, outside of Baltimore.  So I was very surprised 

13 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

I have not,  when was it done last?  How old is the vehicle?  Do you live in a vulnerable area?

Its weird because I iron decon’d my parents white car yesterday, for the first time in a year and barely had any color change.  They live just off of Interstate 95, near trains tracks, outside of Baltimore.  So I was very surprised 

Car is a 2016, but we picked it up used in October 2018, so not sure what it's previous life was like, but this was the first legit time I had a chance to do it.

Though I did put PPF over a bunch of areas, including the doors, and the worst areas that i kept getting contamination on where actually the front doors. I thought it might of needed the clay treatment to get rid of the stuff but clay wasnt touching it so i sprayed DWC again and the spots showed up. 

I feel like next time i do a detail on this car i will need a gallon of iron remover and spend like 2-3 hours doing a pure decon session since i dont think i got everything this time around. Maybe after its 100% clean i'll have a good basis on it. 

It stands outside 99% of the time but it is not near construction, railroads or anything like that.