Customer Service 866.965.0400

newb question

Indyjc

Question

Hello , as I await on my pc and waxes I have a few questions. Will my pc throw product like my old buffer did? You had to wear an shop apron not to get sprayed with compound. And last my 09 Silverado has a lot of black plastic on the exterior do you guys tape off the plastic not to get wax on the plastic? Thanks John

9 answers to this question

Welcome...These products wont throw anything around.Your best bet it to apply the product to the pads and dab it on the area your working on. Yes tape off all areas where theres plastic. if you do get some on the plastic, a little apc will get it off

Hello , as I await on my pc and waxes I have a few questions. Will my pc throw product like my old buffer did? You had to wear an shop apron not to get sprayed with compound. And last my 09 Silverado has a lot of black plastic on the exterior do you guys tape off the plastic not to get wax on the plastic? Thanks John

Since the PC is a dual action machine and not a rotary, the amount of fling is nothing if you are smart about how you start and stop your tool. Always start and stop while the pad is on the paint. Watch Adams videos. He talks about it. Tape off all the stuff you don't want to get wax on with blue or green painters tape. 3M is the preferred tape.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Hi John!

Welcome.

The only time the Porter Cable will throw polish is if you are using WAY too much product and or you turn the machine on when the pad isn't resting on the vehicle. Other than that, you should be pretty clean.

For the plastic edges, you can absolutely tape those off if you prefer. I personally don't find it necessary. If I happen to get wax or polish in the trim, I simply wipe it off with my towel and a shot of detail spray.

I've used the rotary for years and the "slinging" was always a problem.

Not with the PC though.

Mist outside of the pad and a qiuck mist over the pad to help to reduce dust, also, you only have to put 3 small pea size drops on the pad to do a 2x2 area which is the area I work at a time.

Dab it around on the 2x2 area while the pad is on the PC, start the PC on 3 and work it in some then hit it on 5 , work it untill it turns clear, inspect and do it again until you like the outcome.

Tip, put the PC on the surface and then it on , same for when turning off the PC, keep it on the surface until it stops turning.

Helps the sling.

You may get some sling if you don't keep the pad flat or catch the edge on a badge or washer fluid nub but if you're doing the hood or door panel and it stays flat you shouldn't get much of any sling. If you're getting some wet sling there's a good chance you've got too much product or too much DS in the pad.

3 dabs, or 1 thin line across the pad is the amount of product i use. You'll never get sling if you dab or spread around while the machine is off and then you spread the product on a speed setting of 2-3 before moving up to your operating speed, depending on what your doing.

p.s Pad on the car at all time, then turn machine off and on.

Archived