Customer Service 866.965.0400

SHR microscratch question

Vincenzo

Question

So I was polishing my car yesterday. :D

Of course, I was in my badly lit garage, so after 2 passes of SHR on a section of hood I backed out into the sun to check my progress. All of the swirls were gone but many small new ones had replaced them. I know that that is supposed to happen, so I hit it with 2 passes of FMP, and backed out again to check. It was a lot better, but there was still a good amount of micro scratching going on. :willy:

Now that I have finished up the hood and even applied some Americana I can't really see them, but it still bugs me a bit. Is it supposed to be like that or is this a result of bad technique?

Well I only can take pics with wax right now. And you can't see the imperfections because it kind of filled the gaps in the paint.

I am about to start polishing again because my SHR pad is almost 100% dry. Just a little longer. Also, when I look at my paint, it looks like it has small pits and nicks in it all over. Not just from where maybe a rock hit it, but just little pinhole size areas dotting the hood. I tried to take a pic but they were too tiny to be picked up by the camera. It is kind of strange.

Another question I have is with FMP. I feel like maybe it isn't getting worked in all the way. I keep going until it looks clear, but it seems that SHR takes twice as long to work in. Is it supposed to be that way? Should I keep working it in even after it looks really clear? Maybe that is why it isn't getting rid of all of the SHR's swirls.

I forgot to mention that my paint is white. That is why it is hard for my camera to see anything. It also makes it hard to tell when the FMP is done. I have to shine a flashlight on it and look from an angle to see if it looks clear yet. I am going to be taking some pictures today if the weather cooperates long enough. Unfortunatly there is 80% cloud cover and 50% chance of rain all day.

I was out at 2am polishing my driver's side fender. Ridiculously hard, these Mustang fenders. There are like 4 angled lines about 4 inches apart, and the PC can't quite bend over all of them. It took my almost as long as the whole hood took to do just the 1 fender! But it is a good looking fender, from what my halogen flashlight and my single garage light can see.

I assume I would also need to buy a decent drill for that to work. Lol. I have an old black and decker drill (from the 90s) that barely functions. It is just enough to use on my RC cars. Definitely not enough power for polishing.

I forgot to mention that my paint is white. That is why it is hard for my camera to see anything. It also makes it hard to tell when the FMP is done. I have to shine a flashlight on it and look from an angle to see if it looks clear yet. I am going to be taking some pictures today if the weather cooperates long enough. Unfortunatly there is 80% cloud cover and 50% chance of rain all day.

I can sympathize with you on this. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. The tradeoff is that it's a lot harder for anyone else to see any swirls too so the paint always looks nice as long as it's clean.

I can sympathize with you on this. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. The tradeoff is that it's a lot harder for anyone else to see any swirls too so the paint always looks nice as long as it's clean.

And that is the other problem isn't it? Any tiny spec of dirt and the whole car looks dirty lol. When it is sunny and nice out I only get about 3 days before I want to wash it again!

I assume I would also need to buy a decent drill for that to work. Lol. I have an old black and decker drill (from the 90s) that barely functions. It is just enough to use on my RC cars. Definitely not enough power for polishing.

The 4 inch pads have a backing plate that attaches to the PC, no need for a drill :thumbsup:

Archived