Customer Service 866.965.0400

For the tech guys

BlueGenCoupe

IIRC and I am by no means a Camera guy. But that is on the mid level of the Nikon spectrum. But honestly that would be fine by me. IDK what you will be doing with the camera but if you're like me you just want good shots of cars and overall good camera.

I have a D80 and I don't know how to use 90% of it but It makes my picture taking skills look great!

IIRC and I am by no means a Camera guy. But that is on the mid level of the Nikon spectrum. But honestly that would be fine by me. IDK what you will be doing with the camera but if you're like me you just want good shots of cars and overall good camera.

I have a D80 and I don't know how to use 90% of it but It makes my picture taking skills look great!

Im not a camera guy myself. It would be mostly used for take pics of my car(You can see in my thread "Detailed 2010 Genesis) The picture quality was horrible and for family ocassions.

Mayben Im not going to Pay more for a swivel screen :lol:

I LOVE my D3100... The new 5100 is out now too.

It was my first DSLR and I wanted something that wasn't over my head. It's a great camera.

The 5100 is $900 plus tax which will run me over $1000

IMO the new Sony A55 is hard to beat for the money. It's an 800 dollar body and with the translucent glass. My dad just bought one and the pictures it takes are amazing. The colors are super crisp and its burst is F-A-S-T. A lot of people will tell you to stay away from a sony but that's kind of like not buying a car because its from a certain country.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/12/2010-camera-year-sony-a55

Im not a camera guy myself. It would be mostly used for take pics of my car(You can see in my thread "Detailed 2010 Genesis) The picture quality was horrible and for family ocassions.

Mayben Im not going to Pay more for a swivel screen :lol:

The 5100 is $900 plus tax which will run me over $1000

I have no idea if your tall or not and have small (young) kids, but I have the D5100 and the flip screen allows me 6' to take a picture at my kids height. Other wise it looks like i'm standing on a building taking pictures of my twin three year olds! lol

Lets get this thread back on track. If you look at the link I posted in the 1 post, Looking at the specs and MPs do you think its a good buy? Also if you know of a camera thats around the same price or even less that could compare to the 3100, im open to suggestions.

I dont want to spend alot on a camera

The swivel screen is nice, but 9.5 times out of 10 I look through the eye piece. The screen resolution on both is crap (compared to my iPhone 4 Retina Display) so I'd rather see it with my own eyes.

D5100 is a step above the 3100... Ask yourself what you're going to be doing with it though. That's what I did. I'm not a photog. I needed a larger sensor camera to take good pictures. I didn't need a super computer. I'm VERY happy with the 3100.

Anthony, I definitely recommend getting a Nikon.. the D3100 is an excellent camera, yes you will be more than happy with it.. if it turns into a hobby you want to get into, buy a more expensive one at that time..

I went with the D5000 vs the D3000 because it wasnt that much more, but it was a better camera and I loved the swivel.. I intend to learn more about it and make it into a hobby..

eh

I'd get the 5100. Also, best by has all kinds of combo kits they put on sale that include cases and different lens.... I'd consider looking at those. I got my D90 with a carrying case, 8gb card and 2 different lens.

Last year we bought a Canon Rebel XTI. Purchased the floor model at Sears and we paid less than $500 for it. Later on we purchased a lense at Target for $100. We have taken thousands of pics with it and not one single issue with it.

Anthony, I definitely recommend getting a Nikon.. the D3100 is an excellent camera, yes you will be more than happy with it.. if it turns into a hobby you want to get into, buy a more expensive one at that time..

I went with the D5000 vs the D3000 because it wasnt that much more, but it was a better camera and I loved the swivel.. I intend to learn more about it and make it into a hobby..

eh

Wow Nick, that was your longest post ever! EH :lolsmack:

Well it turns out the sale ends today, and Im at work until 2330, so I took the dive and bought it. The d5100 was $899 +tax and the D3100 was on sale for $649. Regular price was $755. Big difference in price from the 5100 to the 3100. Now I'll be able to take decent photos!

Welcome me to the DSLR Clan :loser:

I'd get the 5100. Also, best by has all kinds of combo kits they put on sale that include cases and different lens.... I'd consider looking at those. I got my D90 with a carrying case, 8gb card and 2 different lens.

I bought the D3100 kit, which includes Nikon D3100 14.2MP DSLR Camera with AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm Lens Kit and SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 4 SDHC

If you look at my other post..there was a big difference in price. I didn't want to spend that much.

if you buy a second lens and have $, get the 18-200 DX with VR.. but your spending 4-500 easy but then you only need one lens.

or, spend around 200 or less for the 55-200 DX with VR and swap lenses like I do..

Archived