Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trim and lug nut brush lost it's handle

PeteH

Question

First off, I have no complaints with Adams products. I made a call to Adams and they sent me a new brush a.s.a.p.

My purpose of this post is to see if it was really a bad product or if the way I used the brush was the cause of the failure. I was also wondering if anyone has had any issues with the handle on their trim and lug nut brush?

Rewind a few weeks, FedEx drops off a package from Adams, containing a new trim and lug nut brush. I give it a once over and see that it appears to be another quality Adams product. A couple days later the brush is put into action on a co-workers Harley. I started by getting a warm, soapy bucket of water to clean the wheels and tries. The water was warm to the touch, but not so hot that it was uncomfortable on bare hands. I dropped my Adams fender brush and lug nut brush in the bucket and went to work. The first time I pulled the lug brush out of the bucket, the handle is now loose, and as I'm using the brush, the handle is getting looser and looser, to the point where just laying the brush on its side will cause the handle to go crooked. I figured the water may be the issue so I decided to keep the brush on a towel beside the bucket instead of in the bucket, but the damage was already done. After finishing the Harley and cleaning up, I hang the brush on a nail in my basement to dry with the other cleaning tools. I go downstaris a day later to hang my microfibers on the dyring rack and I notice that the handle of the brush is still hanging on the nail but the brush head is now on the floor.

Was the failure caused by water or do you think I just got a bad brush?

I now have a new, replacement brush but I don't want to ruin this one if it is a water issue

14 answers to this question

Anything human made can fail... It's how the HUMAN responds if/when something fails that counts... :thumbsup:

Sounds like it's under control.

:iagree:

as for the new one, I would suggest not letting it soak in the bucket.. it may have caused the issue, it may not have..

either way, isnt it nice to know that Adam's customer service is second to none?

:iagree:

as for the new one, I would suggest not letting it soak in the bucket.. it may have caused the issue, it may not have..

either way, isnt it nice to know that Adam's customer service is second to none?

I can't be the first to keep my trim brush in the bucket while using it, can I?

How many keep theirs in the wash bucket while in use?

And yes, Adams customer service is the best, by far

Heres a little advice because this almost happened to me. The first time i washed my car this spring I used warm water because it was still kind of cold out side. I placed my wheel and lug nut brush in the water. Everything was fine. After I was done washing the car, I washed the brush let it dry and stored it away with my wash pads. The next time I wwashed my car I took out all the goodies, and noticed my Lug brush was stuck to my wash pad.

To make a long story short, the glue used around the handle and the brush must have melted or broke down from the useage of warm water. Ever since then I I put tape around the silver part of the brush and over top of the glue.

I actually saw another member do it, but he did it just for looks. Heres a pic

345db40c.jpg

71e56952.jpg

I will have to check the new brush, but the old brush did not have any glue. It had a piece of green tape covering the area where the brush and handle meet. Under the tape was the (butyl)?? adhesive that held both components together. I have seen pics of older brushes and they clearly had an off white ring around the handle/brush area to protect the adhesive underneath.

Pete take a pic of your brushes, Im curious to see what they looks like. Heres one that I got a few weeks ago, and its the same as the other one In my previous post.

5b689694.jpg

77b57a65.jpg

In between the silver ring and wooden handle is the adhesive and im guessing when that got warm from the water it lost its stickyness

What else was in the bucket ? Was it car wash soap or something else ?

Just thinking out loud, maybe warm water and APC could have an affect ?

Just Dawn and warm water

Here are the pics.

The first are the only pics I have of the old brush and it's now on its way back to Adams.

brush001Medium.jpg

brush004Medium.jpg

Replacement brush

brush2005Medium.jpg

brush2004Medium.jpg

brush2002Medium.jpg

Archived