Customer Service 866.965.0400

Figured out what to do with the pad that comes with the PC..

chrisguga

This isn't really a write-up so feel free to move it if necessary.

I hate that I spent 30+ hours machining the exterior of my car, getting the wheels just perfect and sealing them, painting the calipers, etc only to have my dirty and dull muffler highly visible to all those behind the car. I never realized how bad it looked until my wife borrowed my car and I watched it driving away.

I have no desire to have a chrome muffler like what you'd find on a Honda with a 3 foot wing, but I do want it to look better.

I'm not finished with this job as I only spent about 20 minutes on it before it got dark and the mosquitoes were tearing me up, but I'll go back and finish polishing the tailpipes at a later date. So far, I'm pretty happy with the results and I'm glad I saved that cheap pad for a dirty job like this one.

2 before shots:

mufflerdull2.jpg

mufflerdull.jpg

one quick after shot:

muffler.jpg

After trying an aggressive compound for 3 hits and then Adam's metal polish 1, I found that the cleaner/polish I use in the kitchen left the best shine. I'll experiment with this some more in the future.

mufflerpolish.jpg

I'm thinking some fine steel wool might be a good starter and then finish off with the pad. I really don't think the way I went at it is the best possible way to clean it up, but I just wanted to throw some pictures out there. Maybe this thread will lead to tips for cleaning up stainless steel or other types of exhaust so they don't look so grubby and ruin the look of an otherwise clean car.

The suspension in that cobra is what allows to show off the exhaust more than others. Here is the whole writeup the fella did, its pretty in depth.

How to: Polish Exhaust - Mustang Forums at StangNet

I know there is a bad product in here but use the Adam's goodies for better results :)

I would say you could skip steps as well if you would like. He took it a step further though.

The suspension in that cobra is what allows to show off the exhaust more than others. Here is the whole writeup the fella did, its pretty in depth.

How to: Polish Exhaust - Mustang Forums at StangNet

I know there is a bad product in here but use the Adam's goodies for better results :)

I would say you could skip steps as well if you would like. He took it a step further though.

That's similar to how I polished the pipes on my motorcycle years ago.

I'll definitely follow similar steps to polish up my exhaust and then post up the pics!

My effort tonight was more of a, "Dang, that looks like crap. I'm going to mess around with what I have available and see what it looks like in 30 minutes or less."

Look at that shine! I might have to try this on my dad's exhaust since mine isnt SS :(. Thinking about getting it redone here very soon though :banana:

3879353899_695f299332_o.jpg

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:Cobra's on my car I would like to own one day list now. :bow::bow::burnout:

So I didn't worry about making mine look like chrome, but here are the results after using 180, 600, 1000, 2000, and then Adam's metal polish on the cruddy pad that comes with the PC. I didn't take much time doing this and finished it all in about an hour.

Original:

mufflerdull.jpg

Cleaned up:

IMG_7507.jpg

Me likey. If you could clean those spots on each side where the welds are right after the exhaust leaves the muffler it would be killer. If only they were smart enough to put the seam welds on the part of the muffler where you wouldn't notice it now..

Archived