Customer Service 866.965.0400

So you think you've seen hard water spots???

Jeebalow

Question

Think again. This is my parents shower glass. It started life crystal clear, but was unfortunate enough to be in a house that has well water (we live outside the city). This has taken over 2 hours so far and I have about a quarter or less of the glass corrected. :help: I wish I had gotten the Flex Premium Kit instead of the PC or better yet the Premium Kit with both polishers.:pc: I used the PC for about an hour and then switched over to the focus pads and the drill. But the focus pads are so small! I'm thinking there is a flex in my future.

Here is the result of 5 years of hard water drying on the shower door (despite the fact that there is a water softener in place):

This is the TOP of the shower door:

IMG_9203.jpg

And this is the BOTTOM (you can actually feel the buildup of minerals in the lower sections):willy::

IMG_9197.jpg

Those pictures don't really put it into perspective..... here are some with part cleaned and part still spotted:

This is one piece of glass:

IMG_9205.jpg

This is between the door and rest of the glass:

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

And for good measure, my weapons:

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

I will definitely be ordering the glass sealant to help prevent this in the future. I also made sure that my parents have a good squeegee in the shower so that they can squeegee any water that stays on the glass when they shower. Especially between the correction and arrival of sealant. :xfingers: Worst case, I can just go over it with the PC quickly as it will not be as bad as this 5 year build up!:willy:

24 answers to this question

Sorry guys I was half asleep when I responded to this thread. Well I guess you have done all you can unless you get a flex. Maybe use a flex with a yellow PC pad lol. Just don't break you wrists lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah, some have had luck with just APC or glass cleaner with the PC, but these spots were too bad for that. I had to use the 4" focus pads on a corded drill. Green pad and SSR for the entire thing. It took easily over 20 hours to finish the entire glass! Then I finished it off with glass sealant inside and out! The beading shots are of the outside btw.

Since this is on an unfinished surface (not your clear coat of your vehicle) I would most definitely try some commercial water spot remover that window washers use. That stuff is vicious against water spots. I've used it on lab glassware that have had baked on calcium residue. At least to cut it down, then attack with Adam's if needed.

I feel bad for your PC.....haha. You're sure getting the experience this way though! Corrected side looks great however!

I still need to try a couple other suggestions I have gotten thus far and see which is most effective. I did about an hour with the PC and then switched over to a drill and focus pads with SHR. :pc:It's A LOT of work, but the results are awesome. Kind of off topic, but I have Glass cleaner gallon, 3 glass towels, MF app, Glass sealant, carpet and upholstery cleaner, and green wheel cleaner on the way!!!! I ordered it today from Ashley at about 4:19PM PST and at 4:35PM I had tracking info. I checked UPS and the package had already been picked up!! :banana: 16 Min from order to pickup. Now that is awesome! Oh and Ashley threw in an empty Interior and Leather Cleaner bottle for FREE!!! ( I put a hole in mine somehow). Come Friday I should be getting :mail:!!!:cheers:

Since this is on an unfinished surface (not your clear coat of your vehicle) I would most definitely try some commercial water spot remover that window washers use. That stuff is vicious against water spots. I've used it on lab glassware that have had baked on calcium residue. At least to cut it down, then attack with Adam's if needed.

I feel bad for your PC.....haha. You're sure getting the experience this way though! Corrected side looks great however!

I don't know if this will work on something as severe as what you are showing, but I swear by a product called Spot X that I bought at Home Depot.

Hard water stains, acid rain, auto glass repair, spot-x, rust stains, cleaning product, water spots

It made easy work of the water spots that I had on my glass shower doors. I was actually amazed that it worked as well as it did.

I'll give it a shot later today, hopefully it can knock down the majority or the spots and I can finish it up with the PC. Thanks!

I don't know if this will work on something as severe as what you are showing, but I swear by a product called Spot X that I bought at Home Depot.

Hard water stains, acid rain, auto glass repair, spot-x, rust stains, cleaning product, water spots

It made easy work of the water spots that I had on my glass shower doors. I was actually amazed that it worked as well as it did.

I HATE showering in hard water. Some of my friends that live farther out from the city than me have hard water and it leaves your hair feeling like there's dirt in it

I don't get that here, maybe the water softener is doing it's job after all! I think we might have a second softener installed. The well we use feeds 3 properties and my dad wanted to add another filter that just fed out house.

Jon, that's what he is using:thumbsup: I don't know if you can see the pics through Tapatalk, I've never used it. Looks like a Craftsman corded drill with the focus pad kit.

Yep! I believe it's a ryobi, but corded and with focus pad nonetheless. I tried SSR for a bit and didn't really notice a difference. So you say glass polish and SSR focus pad will speed things up? Any idea wheat brand you used? And there is a squeegee now and I will be ordering glass sealant Monday.

I would a use a corded drill and the focus pads with some SSR. The PC is not gonna do the job! You're gonna have to get a flex for more coverage and to speed the process up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jon, that's what he is using:thumbsup: I don't know if you can see the pics through Tapatalk, I've never used it. Looks like a Craftsman corded drill with the focus pad kit.

I'll see you, and raise you. :lol: This is after 4 years...the first year we tried to keep up with it by cleaning the shower every week, but the build-up still continued. Harry, brings up a good point, but if it's like mine....CLR or any other cleaner type product will not touch those. Trust me, I've tried everything. I even tried (with a mask on) straight Acid, and it didn't touch the deposits. I was beginning to think it was etched in the glass.

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

I just finished last weekend, but I haven't taken any after picutres yet. I can if you want, it's spotless. If you want to speed up your process, use a dedicated glass polish with the severe focus pad or even a 4" wool pad. From what I understand, paint polishes have alot have oils in them that actually slow down polishing glass and gum up your pad faster. I cut my time by 75% by using a polish designed for glass.

Preventative maintenance. I sealed the glass, threw a squeegie in there and even added a daily shower cleaner. We'll see if it works...let me know how yours comes out.

Dave

Archived