Customer Service 866.965.0400

Options??!!

jaysmoove

Question

Hello all, I'm new to the forum so this is my first post!!

Just recently ordered the Adam's machine polishing kit and awaiting the arrival of the box with all the goodies so I can begin working on getting the shine back into my two black vehicles. My only problem is I live in an apartment with no water access to where my cars are located (I assume the majority of us that live in apartments have this issue). For those of you that live in apartments and detail your car, what is your technique as far as being able to wash the car, clay, polish, wax, etc. all outside? I live in VA and I know by mid afternoon it will be too HOT to to the swirl/scratch removal, polish, and wax in direct sunlight.

The only options I can think of are to wash my car the nite before at a local carwash, use the detailer spray early in the morning to clean/prep the car for claying and then try to complete the rest of the process prior to 9-10 a.m.!! I would have to be up at the crack of light though which I'm willing to do!

Anyone else have any suggestions, options, or techniques they use for those of us that live in apartments without carports, garages, and access to water?

Thanks in advance!!

Jay

13 answers to this question

WELCOME!

Here are my thoughts for water access: they sell adapters that you can screw onto a sink faucet that will allow you to attach a hose. I've used them for aquarium filling purposes. Then you can run a hose out the front door/out a window. etc. Who cares in the neighbors look at you funny? :jester:

As far as being in the sun...get an easy up tent. Insta-shade! :2thumbs:

Have fun and lets see some before and after shots!

Welcome!

When I was in college I took my bucket and sponge with me to the carwash, if it wasn't too busy (I hated to tie up a spot too long) I would spray it down and then wash it with the sponge, then spray it off. The only issue is getting home with out it getting dirty. Guess you could waterless wash when you got home!

If hooking a hose up inside the apt is out of the question then i would do a spray wash during time that you wont be holding up other users. They tend to leave dirt so get out your wash mit and shampoo and avoid by all means the ones that have brushes, cloth or anything that will touch your paint. As for the rest of the detail, since you will be driving your clean vehicle from a to b i would touch up with waterless wash before continuing on the the clay and correction phase. An easy up or carport would be great for the rest although this stuff is really not that bad in direct sun, i typically do my detailing in the sun and have little issues once the thing is dry. As mentioned post pics we all enjoy shiny black paint around here:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Mayben, I will be detailing my Dodge Charger (2006) and my wife's Acura MDX....both black. My car's paint is horrible, swirls on top of swirls and minor scratches here and there from the local car wash. My wife's car isnt too bad, definite swirls here and there!! Both need some TLC though. I will take some before pics and post them so you guys can see how bad things are lol!!

@ Xqizt...the water adapter would be perfect but i live on the second floor and would need a rather long water hose to be able to reach the cars. I was thinking if a store sold a small portable pressure washer of some sort...i could go that route possibly if the price isn't too much on those units!

@ Odds and Ends...I'm in the Hampton Roads area...never heard of Sterling, VA. How far is that from here?

Do you guys think I would be okay with spray washing at a car wash the night before, dry it off with the Adam's drying towel to minimize the scratching, drive home, pour a bucket of water over the car and dry it off again to get any dirt off. The next morning pour another bucket of water over the car and dry it off, then commence to the claying process, and then the correction phase??

@ bluegencoupe...being in the military, the majority of my friends either stay in the barracks or in an apartment since we move a lot.

@ bjoeaull....my previous car i would bucket wash it at the carwash late at nite or really early in the morning when i knew not many people would be coming to use the carwash.

@ mbreyer....getting an easy up crossed my mind and i am still thinking of getting one for that very reason. I just would hate buying one for that single purpose only though lol!!

If that route gotta go with some DS or WCW vs. pln water. The lubrication is what will keep your corrections at a minimum, plain water will most likely give you a headache in the end

I know this may sound backwards and my logic may be off...lol...but since I will be doing all the correcting phases after this initial wash, I'm not too worried about having more corrections to take care of. However, AFTER this initial detail, I will not use that method and most likely go with the WCW method!!!

you got the right idea and i see ur point as valid but i prefer prevention over correction especially with black paint. Just my 2 cents but if you caught post of mine on other threads i dont like people looking at my paint wrong for fear of more swirl marks:jester:

Archived