Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nitrogen Tire Question

ExpressThis13

So when I bought my truck dealership had filled all my tires up with nitrogen and my truck has TPMS and its telling me that 2 of my tires are low. Recommended PSI is 35 and they are around 31 so not very low but gotta keep the truck happy but my problem is I have no idea where to get nitrogen. I do have a nice size air compressor but can I mix regular air and nitrogen with no problems? Searched a little online and it seems I can but I have little faith of people that ask/answer questions on yahoo. I dont really care for nitrogen regular air has sufficed for so many years why change now.

what are the benifits of nitrogen anyway. The way I see it regular air is cheaper and is just as sufficent if you check your tires often which I do especially after my GP where I had to fill up every 2 days lol I keep a close eye on my tires.

By cheaper I mean free of course. I have my own compressor.

It's not so much the nitrogen, as it is the lack of oxygen, water vapor, and other gases in regular air. It helps maintain a consistent tire pressure better. If you monitor your TPMS, and keep your tires properly inflated all the time, you don't really need it as much. They say the oxygen causes oxidation which could make tires brittle, but you still have oxygen on the outside of the tire so I don't see it as that big of a benefit. Personally, I just use regular air and keep an eye on it.

Nitrogen in tires really took off several years back when Ford Explorer vehicles had tire blowouts when coupled with Firestone shoes. Just about all manufatures, I'm led to believe, will order/fit notrogen filled tires on new vehicles [read: liabilty]

Nitrogen is much drier [next to no oxygen or moisture], is more stable at different pressure changes due to varying ambient and internal tire [rubber] temperatures and is not known to "break-down" and degrade the tire like air will..... as well as having supurb longevity.

Race cars and bikes, rally cars and aircrafts have been known to use nitrogen injected tires for some time.

Can you fill your nitrogen injected tires up with regular gas station compressed air? Absolutely.

The only negative aspect is that it will degrade the nitrogen already in the tires over time. No biggie.

Hope this helped.

Nitrogen in tires is a bit more hyped than practical. We have a few large cylinders at our shop. It's great for coil-over gas shocks for all the benefits mentioned above, but it gets expenisive. We don't even run it in our racecar and 1/2lb is huge in them. The only time I'd fill my tires up is if it were free somewhere as a promotion.

Hit your tires with compressed air and drive the snot out of it!

Archived