Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Coat ontop of Metal Polish

6.0DSLPWR

Question

Ive got some Bilstein 5100 shocks on my F350. After putting the shocks on it didnt take long for them to start to oxidize, rust and start looking bad. I did some googling and found out this is a common problem with these shocks and most people say to put a couple coats of clear coat on the shocks before you install them and they should stay looking good a little longer. What I did to my shocks to get them looking better is took some 0000 steel wool and WD40 and cleaned all the rust off of them. After that they looked 10 times better but were dull with no shine. So I took some MP 1 and 2 too them and now they look better then brand new. My question is what do I need to do if anything after I polish them with MP and before I clear coat them?

1 answer to this question

Like any painting you'll want to make sure the surface is 100% clean so you get proper adhesion... I'd give them a wipe down with a little IPA to make sure the surface is 100% clean. Metal polish doesn't leave anything behind really, but that doesn't necessarily mean the surface is clean enough to paint.

Archived