Customer Service 866.965.0400

Road paint overspray

/dev/null

Question

I have some nasty road paint overspray from a road paint dustcloud, it's a fine white mist covering the entire car. I have tried IPA, bug & tar remover, plastic razorblades, mineral spirits, 3M adhesive remover and clay. Regular clay wont touch the stuff the only thing that seems to have removed some of it is Meguiars aggressive red which of course leaves marks everywhere for me to polish out.

I can't feel the overspray by hand without a plastic bag and it is impossible to pick off by hand, my black car looks perpetually dusty. The car is less than a year old and the overspray has been on there for about 6mos so I would like to be a gentle to the finish as possible, I tried all of this when I first noticed the overspray without any improvement.

I am tempted to just hit it with swirl&haze remover with the PC but am worried about causing damage with the overspray still on there.

Any ideas?

12 answers to this question

I would rather not if possible, couldn't acetone eat through my clear?

Wax/grease remover and lacquer thinner are the strongest things I have tried in some test spots, both did nothing. Thanks

I couldn't tell you what else to use. Maybe Dylan or someone could chime in on a solution.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have only taken overspray off of two cars but I was able to do it with the claybar. It didn't easily wipe off but took time and a more than a little elbow grease. After the clay, since I had to vigorously work the area, I had to do paint correction, but it did work for me.

:cheers:

Did you try spraying the 3M adhesive remover on and letting it sit & soak for awhile?

I let it sit for a minute or two. Might try again letting it soak longer, but I was worried about leaving it too long.

I heard this may work..Denatured Alcohol from Klean-Strip | The Home Depot - Model#: GSL26

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks, will look into that

ADAM's Claybar it.

Blows the cheap clay bar out the water!

I tried my Adam's clay, but it couldn't take it off. This stuff is really nasty, the only clay that did anything was Megs aggressive, and even that took a lot of work for very minimal improvement.

I have only taken overspray off of two cars but I was able to do it with the claybar. It didn't easily wipe off but took time and a more than a little elbow grease. After the clay, since I had to vigorously work the area, I had to do paint correction, but it did work for me.

:cheers:

Yeah, tell me about it, its definately going to need a good polish afterwards. :pc:

This is after lots of claying, very minimal improvement.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Archived