Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Polishing over a strike?

irunnoft

Question

I've got a car that I'm going to detail for somebody and they have a spot where the clear coat and paint had been removed from a rotary polisher. Should I tape over that spot before I hit it with a Flex? I didn't know if there was any way to damage that area any more, but I don't want to do that. I tried searching the threads about this subject and didn't find anything so I thought I'd post a thread.

Thx :patriot:

3 answers to this question

I wouldnt, I am going to Polish my Cousins truck in 2 weeks, and there are some areas on his paint that the clear is gone they are small but Im not going anywhere near them. Im doing this more for practice than anything else. However I will be taping around them so I know to stay away.

Definitely don't hit the stirke thru areas as you'll expand that area and make the damage larger.

I'd also proceed with a ton of caution. If there is strike thru then the paint has been likely thinned out all over the place by whoever was hitting it with the rotary. It could be 1 flex pass away from having more strike thru, but this time you'd be the one to blame.

You don't want to inherit someone elses issues. Without metering the paint theres no way to really know if its safe to continue buffing.

Definitely don't hit the stirke thru areas as you'll expand that area and make the damage larger.

I'd also proceed with a ton of caution. If there is strike thru then the paint has been likely thinned out all over the place by whoever was hitting it with the rotary. It could be 1 flex pass away from having more strike thru, but this time you'd be the one to blame.

You don't want to inherit someone elses issues. Without metering the paint theres no way to really know if its safe to continue buffing.

Yikes! Never thought of that! Thanks Dylan.

Archived