Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning my 7.3 Engine

Natch02

Question

Good Day everyone. I will be doing my first engine wash ever on Friday. I have watched a few videos but still have the fear of messing something up on my diesel. I would appreciate any advice. What to cover or not get wet. Otherwise Im gonna spray APC get the hose and get to work. Thanks

11 answers to this question

I just did a 7.3 last weekend. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag and cover an open air filter if equipped, as mentioned above.

Always clean a cold engine as steam created from spraying water on a hot engine will find its way into undesirable spots.

Use only low pressure water and be careful not to directly spray any electrical connections.

Once cleaned, remove bags from alternator and air filter and start engine to help with drying. I use compressed air to aid in drying as well.

I was very afraid when I washed my Engine but after the 3rd time doing I washed my wife engine in her SUV with no fear and also her brothers GTO everything went smooth. I did not dry it with a waffle towel I turned the engine on and let it idle dry.

I did not cover anything (not that you shouldnt) I set my adams nozzle to spray and rinsed after the APC rub down.

Like the others have said:

Cover any exposed/open element filters with a bag or aluminum foil.

Cover the alternator if you have any concerns. I haven't ever had an issue and I don't cover.

You can put a bag over exposed battery terminals to prevent corrosion, but so long as you dry the engine bay after cleaning it really isn't much of a concern.

Modern engine bays are really tolerant of water so theres not a lot to be afraid of.

Archived