Customer Service 866.965.0400

Restoring My Daily Driver

MattZ

I've never fancied myself an automobile enthusiast but after "upgrading" to a 2002 Volvo S60 that has some messed up clear coat from a side swipe in its previous life, I found Adam's when searching for potential solutions. So I put some stuff on the christmas list, read up a lot, placed an order, and also won a FB contest for posting my christmas haul. The last of it arrived today and now I think I'm pretty well equipped:

Detail Spray, Clay Bar, all purpose cleaner, porter cable, focus pads, swirl and haze remover, fine machine polish, shampoo, car wash pad, great white microfiber drying towel, grit guard, glass cleaner, microfiber towels (single soft and glass), glass cleaner, brilliant glaze, and hex applicators round out my initial haul. If the swirl and haze remover doesn't fix the scratched up clear coat then I'll probably order some severe swirl remover to knock it out.

Gotta give a big thanks to the Adam's team for the free stuff from the contest (and the glass cleaner that got thrown in there). It's been raining all day so I didn't get a chance to try the stuff out yet but tomorrow is supposed to be 50. :xfingers: I did use the glass cleaner on my MacBook Pro screen and I have to admit it might actually be better than my current favored product OmniCleanz. The OmniCleanz was good to get rid of the dust without streak but didn't get rid of some of the oil/greasy stuff that the Adam's cleaner was able to clear off. The Adam's glass cleaner had no streaks either so that was great as well.

Also, are these liquids edible? ;) They smell delicious!

Thanks everyone. I forgot to take some "before" pictures but I'll take some after ones when the sun returns. After spending two days with this vehicle I came to realize it is really bad. Lots of little chips in the paint (especially the hood and front bumper). Filling them is a pain; I have touch up paint but have to snake it down a toothpick to fill the cracks. I'm not really sure how I'm going to deal with smoothing it out after. Today I tried fill and then lifting and smoothing with the clay bar and it seemed to work okay but would also lift some point from the crack too. Not perfect.

The porter cable did manage to minimize but not remove lots of other scratches, especially the area where the sideswipe had occurred. We're about to hit a cold spell so my goal was to just go over the bad areas of the paint with the porter cable and have the whole car washed, clayed, glazed, and waxed before the crap weather comes. I was waxing outside as it got dark out and actually had to bring out a hairdryer to re liquify the wax that I applied to the car.

Really impressed with the potency of the all purpose cleaner. It did a fantastic job of clearing out the tires. I think I may order up some sever swirl remover when the weather gets warmer and take a second whack at the bad areas.

Thanks everyone. Here's a distance shot, the hood about a week after correction. I have a bunch of troubles that I posted in another thread in general detailing. If you look at the other pics Volvo Pictures you can still see there are scratches to tackle and I had some issues with the wax I used (cough turtle goop) sticking the trim and staying. It seems to really show-up as it gets colder. Eww.

1.jpg

Archived