Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Paste Wax Layering Question...

Momo.75

Question

I have recently stepped up from the Griot's products to the Adam's line......and love'em!

When i used Griot's "Best of Show" wax, i would apply it with my PC, let it set up for a couple hours without buffing it off. Then i would go right back over it with another coat, sometimes letting that set up and applying another coat before buffing it off. Basically just layering the wax. I was curious if you could do this with the Americana Wax? Could you apply it and let it set up (i know you aren't supposed to let it dry) then just apply another coat right on top of the first coat, then buff it off? I wasn't sure if this had been tried with Americana or not. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this method. Thanks in advance.:cheers:

4 answers to this question

If you wait too long before buffing it off you are creating a bunch of work for yourself. I do a panel and when it hazes, remove it. Waiting too long just makes the buffing that much more difficult to complete and IMO your shine and durability aren't any better for letting it sit on there longer.

:cheers:

APW is something you can layer, but IMO don't really need to. Anything past two coats is overkill if you ask me, and also you start to increase the chance of clouding the paint.

With APW, depending on the weather, it's one of those where you would apply it panel by panel and remove it panel by panel, or two panels at a time depending. With my own stuff, I never have more than one coat of either Sealant, BG, then TWO of APW.

This is something I've heard from many users of their wax... the fact is a wax isn't getting any 'shinier' sitting there. Had one guy tell me he was instructed to let the wax sit on the paint for 24 hours before removing?

Fact is waxes, once cured, aren't going to change properties or composition so once they haze they're essentially done doing what they're gonna do. Too long of a sit and they can even become harder to remove. This is why we recommend working a panel or 2 at a time with Americana... no benefit from a longer cure, just added work to get it off.

As far as layering, waxes don't 'stack' too well... 2, maybe 3 coats tops and you've reached the absolute deepest its going to allow you to go. Remember, with our stuff LESS IS MORE.

2 thin coats will outperform 1 heavy coating.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Since i had tried it with the lesser brand, i wanted to see what you guys thought......after i applied the one coat of Americana, last week, it was hard to imagine it being any more shiny. Less is more works for me.....lol. Thanks.

Archived