Customer Service 866.965.0400

New truck got a couple scatches....

Big O

Question

My older brother just bought a new truck (black silverado) and when he got home his hunting dog was a little too excited to see him and jumped up and put a couple scratches in the door.

My question is this: Can you spot correct the paint without doing the entire truck? In my head I think that the areas that get corrected will noticiably different (deeper, shiny'er, clear'er) than the rest of the truck. Especially considering the truck is brand new and never been corrected.

7 answers to this question

I have had this happen and have had success with polishing them out. If that doesn't work try wet sanding. Junkman is the expert there. He has some videos showing how to do it. I would try those methods before I attempted painting. There is a real knack when it comes to painting, with several different variables that affect whether it matches or not. And usually it is the whole door, not just the scratches. Paint work however isn't too terribly expensive. It is body work that adds up.

I have had this happen and have had success with polishing them out. If that doesn't work try wet sanding. Junkman is the expert there. He has some videos showing how to do it. I would try those methods before I attempted painting. There is a real knack when it comes to painting, with several different variables that affect whether it matches or not. And usually it is the whole door, not just the scratches. Paint work however isn't too terribly expensive. It is body work that adds up.

Painting? I believe he is just asking if he could just polish the part of the truck with the scratches.

I would think that the paint would look better just in that spot.

I haven't seen the truck yet to determine the depth, I started to ask him about it but he wasn't really in the mood, pretty pissed off.

Assumming they don't catch the fingernail and can be polished out, I'm looking at a full truck polish correct? Especially considering it is black. If so I'm leaning towards just leaving it until spring and then doing it all, the prep work is much more tedious to me than the machine work.

Archived