Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need a new heat pump

GXPaycheck

Mine is a 7 year old Trane. House is two story 1500 sq ft, with a zone system and Trane Clean Effects filter system. I'm thinking about a SEER 16 variable speed fan system to replace it. Rheem seems to be one of the better brands.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanx!

Just got off the phone with my buddy, who has been in the biz for over twenty five years independently! He said the (24 VNA Carrier) is the best all around, and the Rheem is good but cost more in maintenance! Cheers :cheers:

Here is (part of) what I have:

Carrier Performance Series Heatpump (single stage scroll compressor) 16 SEER

Carrier Performance Series Fan Coil (variable speed fan and 15KW) add 2 SEER

This system averages around 18 SEER. With this new system I have average 8 - 10 hours a day less in kilowatt hours compared to the prior system.

You know Carrier is "The World Leader in Air Conditioning".

The HVAC guy that installed ours said to go with a single stage compressor. It is alot cheaper than a two stage compressor if you ever have to replace it. He has been working in the HVAC area for 57 years and still working in it.

So far I'm leaning towards a Rheem 14 Seer, single stage compressor, variable speed fan system, 10 year parts and labor warranty. Installer has a great track record and a very simple warranty (no fine print). $6k + a few more for service agreement and duct cleaning.

So far I'm leaning towards a Rheem 14 Seer, single stage compressor, variable speed fan system, 10 year parts and labor warranty. Installer has a great track record and a very simple warranty (no fine print). $6k + a few more for service agreement and duct cleaning.

$6,000? Wow! That's twice what I'm paying for my system.

Mine is a 7 year old Trane. House is two story 1500 sq ft, with a zone system and Trane Clean Effects filter system. I'm thinking about a SEER 16 variable speed fan system to replace it. Rheem seems to be one of the better brands.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanx!

Something isn't right there if you only got 7 years out of your heat pump. It should last double or triple that.

You may want to check into whether the you have enough air flow. Number of returns as well as size. Number of supply as well as size. Size of your trunk line. The size of your line set, etc. Also check to see what size blower you have on your air handler/furnace. It could be one of these causing your equipment to fail prematurely, or a combination.

You may have to do some digging to find someone that you trust and not give you the run around. I have found that they all have a solution and all tell you something different. Atleast that was my experience with past hvac issues that I have dealt with. They will all want to sell you something. I had to do a ton of research on my own and find a company that I completely trusted. I had my whole hvac system ripped out and replace 6 years after it was put in because it was done wrong. My duct work was fine, everything mechanical was replaced. At a cost of $11,200. I did however buy high end equipment and have 0 issues whatsoever now.

One thing to remember the low quality equipment installed properly will outlast the improperly installed high end equipment.

Any knowledge that I have in regards to this I will be more than happy to share. Good luck.

Life expectancy of home components

Must be pricier up here. This was the best of 3 quotes. Outside compressor and inside air handler.

What did you get?

Not sure what I will get until next Tuesday. It does include the heat pump, new concrete slab and inside air handler. $3100 total cost. It is a 2 ton unit.

Something isn't right there if you only got 7 years out of your heat pump. It should last double or triple that.

My condenser coils started freezing up, and we found a freon leak in the coils in the handler. Unit has the older freon and by the time I replaced it and the coils I might as well do the whole thing. Plus my neighbors (duplex) had theirs quit a couple months ago, so I figure mine is on the way out. And it gives me a chance to get the variable speed fan to go with the CleanEffects filter I already have.

Basically, cheap builder with cheap equipment.

Plus, the new stuff will look better on paper when I sell the place.

Not sure what I will get until next Tuesday. It does include the heat pump, new concrete slab and inside air handler. $3100 total cost. It is a 2 ton unit.

That sounds like wholesale prices without labor. Maybe you guys are just cheaper down there.

My condenser coils started freezing up, and we found a freon leak in the coils in the handler. Unit has the older freon and by the time I replaced it and the coils I might as well do the whole thing. Plus my neighbors (duplex) had theirs quit a couple months ago, so I figure mine is on the way out. And it gives me a chance to get the variable speed fan to go with the CleanEffects filter I already have.

Basically, cheap builder with cheap equipment.

Plus, the new stuff will look better on paper when I sell the place.

That sounds like wholesale prices without labor. Maybe you guys are just cheaper down there.

I suppose our cost of living is lower. Some people may disagree with that statement. :)

My condenser coils started freezing up, and we found a freon leak in the coils in the handler. Unit has the older freon and by the time I replaced it and the coils I might as well do the whole thing.

If your coil is freezing up you have an air flow problem. Not enough air flowing over the coil and it is turning into a block of ice. Same thing happened to me. The knucklehead that put my system in the first time had air being sucked from one side instead of both sides or one side and the bottom. I needed the additional flow due to the size of my house and blower on my furnace. Thing that made me mad is that he told us there was nothing wrong with it. It is expensive about a $100 a pop to have someone come look at it and like I said earlier they all tell you something different. It isn't rocket science, they just try to snowball the consumer. Atleast that was my experience.

If your replacing your system from the R22 to the R410A if it were me I would have the line set replaced. And make sure your system has what is called a txv. A lot of times the newer stuff has it built into the coil. If not have them add it. Basically what it does is regulate the freon flow kind of like a gas pedal in your car. Where as if you just have an orifice it is just open all the time.

In regards to your line set, make sure that they put the right size in. Length of run will also affect this. Your house being 1500 sq ft. I would guess probably 5/8. If the run is over 24 feet I would be questioning and thinking it more than likely should be 7/8. This is stuff the contactors won't tell you, they will just use what you had initially. Even if it is wrong. In hvac they measure the pipe differently. Basically 5/8 is half inch in plumbing and 7/8 is 3/4.

Did he give you any numbers on what size of air handler and unit he was going to supply you with? Do you know what you have currently? If you don't I can tell you how to check. The thing Iam trying to help you with is preventing your new system from failing prematurely, or atleast ask the right questions. No offense. If you put in what you already have and don't make the proper adjustments your only going to get another 7 years. I went this rodeo before, twice. First time I got hosed. The next time was a contractor my mom had hired. I went over there to do some work for her and she told me she had everything replaced and it was a disaster. They did however come out and fix everything and the owner appologized and mom was happy.

Thermal expansion valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airflow is fine. Old and new are 2 ton. The original line set is OK, just needs to be flushed. I believe the new Rheems have the TXV. The original unit would have been fine had it not started leaking. Builders grade sucks.

Builders grade sucks.

I would agree with that if my unit had not lasted as long as it has. The only major work was done about 3 years ago when the evaporator was replaced due to rusting that caused a leak. The unit is 19 years old and I only spent about $500 on the repairs during it's service life. If I can get the same service from the new unit I will be pleased.

Airflow is fine. Old and new are 2 ton. The original line set is OK, just needs to be flushed. Builders grade sucks.

If your going to be reusing your line set make sure they install what is called a filter drier on both the liquid line and suction line. Not sure what model etc that your going with in the Rheem line up but the below is something that I was able to find.

In regards to your concern about builders grade, I would say Trane isn't usually used when it comes to what I would term builders grade. I can think of several other makers that I would consider to be on the lower end of the spectrum in relation to a Trane item. Usually problems are caused by improper install, they like to cut corners. A good example of this is a house where the upstairs is always hot in the summer and cold in the winter. This is because the installer didn't take the time to install the proper return air. Like I said earlier, the low quality equipment properly installed will out last the high end equipment installed wrong. Hope this helps.

Bi-Directional Filter Drier

—Standard on RPNL- *AZ

models (shipped – not installed).

Airflow is fine. Old and new are 2 ton. The original line set is OK, just needs to be flushed. I believe the new Rheems have the TXV. The original unit would have been fine had it not started leaking. Builders grade sucks.

You do not want the lines flushed. You want them to install new lines.

Got my new heat pump installed this morning. It's a Arcoaire. Seems like it comes from ICP (International Comfort Products). The heat pump is a 2 ton but the supplier sent a 2.5 ton air handler. The installer said it worked out in my favor.

They installed all new lines and it took just under 3 hours. It was a father and his son team. My old unit served me well but it was on it's last leg. The refrigerant was low again but it still worked okay. Now I will have to see if there is any difference on my power bill.

Got my new heat pump installed this morning. It's a Arcoaire. Seems like it comes from ICP (International Comfort Products). The heat pump is a 2 ton but the supplier sent a 2.5 ton air handler. The installer said it worked out in my favor.

They installed all new lines and it took just under 3 hours. It was a father and his son team. Now I will have to see if there is any difference on my power bill.

Upsizing the airhandler by half a ton is the right way. Having plenty of airflow lessens the chances of your coil freezing up. And I know that higher elevations they even upsize the coil. 3 hours is way fast. I know when mine was done it took 2 guys 3 days.

Glad that it is up and working for you, and hopefully you can save some on the power bill. I know mine dropped $100 bucks and that is after I finished the basement and doubled my square footage. I also wanted to tell you if you have anyblow by or leaks where your airhandler connects to your duct work pick up some foil tape. I provided a link below and it is sold at all Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They should have sealed it up good for you however. Usually the corners are the problem areas.

324A 2-1/2 in. x 180 ft. Cold Weather Foil Tape-3240024500 at The Home Depot

Upsizing the airhandler by half a ton is the right way. Having plenty of airflow lessens the chances of your coil freezing up. And I know that higher elevations they even upsize the coil. 3 hours is way fast. I know when mine was done it took 2 guys 3 days.

Glad that it is up and working for you, and hopefully you can save some on the power bill. I know mine dropped $100 bucks and that is after I finished the basement and doubled my square footage. I also wanted to tell you if you have anyblow by or leaks where your airhandler connects to your duct work pick up some foil tape. I provided a link below and it is sold at all Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They should have sealed it up good for you however. Usually the corners are the problem areas.

324A 2-1/2 in. x 180 ft. Cold Weather Foil Tape-3240024500 at The Home Depot

Thanks. I will check the duct connector for leaks. If there are any I will just call the installer back and let him seal it instead of spending my dime. He installs these units on a regular basis.

Archived