Customer Service 866.965.0400

APC on chrome?

glittle75

Question

im gonna be looking at removing my chrome wheels and painting the barrels black to offer more 'pop' to the chrome faces. And seeing as how my chrome started peeling in the barrels, it just looks like crap now to me. There is built up brake dust and such on the most inside part of the barrels and the inside lip of the wheels. If I use APC on them, and it gets on the faces of the wheels will it etch them? Or hurt them in any way? The faces are perfect and I want them to stay this way. But the farthest part of the barrels and inside lip will require alot of elbow grease in order to strip everything off to prepare for paint. Can APC lend me a hand here without destroying the chrome? I've seen some suggestion of GWC for really dirty wheels, but in all honesty, I don't want to purchase it as i'll only use it once. The wheels for the most part (faces and what i can reach of the barrels) stay clean. Usually I will clean the wheels anytime I drive it (2-3k miles a year only) because nothing looks worse than dirty chrome wheels. And nothing looks better than cleaned and polished chrome.

Also I want to clean the engine bay with apc as well as described by many happy posters here. What dilution would I need, as I have chrome under the hood, and what really concerns me, my superchargers case is Anodized black billet aluminum. I dont want to fade this surface either. Will APC affect it at all?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

I think you will be fine using full strength APC in both places. The main thing is don't let it dry - wet the surface before applying, then rinse before it drys. You can let it dwell on the surface before cleaning, but rinse before it begins to dry. If it is warm when you are doing this, work in smaller sections.

Archived