Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing frequency

Enigmatic Soul

Question

Hello everyone! I need some advice :help:, how frequently should I detail my car? So far Ive learned here that I should clay around my oil changes. Now how about when it comes to hand polishes and wax. When I was younger and used other waxes I was obsessed and would try to wax my car almost every weekend. Now Im learning about too much wax may make the paint hazy and even some recommend removing wax from time to time. So should I detail my car in full once a year? Twice? Detail with polishes or just wax? Just need a breakdown of frequency for most of the detailing processes so I wont mess up my new car's finish. Thanks again ladies and gents!! Have a great evening. Im a bit tired from work so Im calling it a night, hopefully I'll have some great tips from you all to read tomorrow! Thanks again :grouphug:

5 answers to this question

The easy answer is "As needed".

• Clay when it doesn't pass the baggie test.

• Wax/seal when it does not bead like you want it to.

• Polish when you don't like how the finish looks.

I think most do a full detail about 2 times a year - during the fall to prep for winter, and in the spring to be shiny for summer.

The easy answer is "As needed".

• Clay when it doesn't pass the baggie test.

• Wax/seal when it does not bead like you want it to.

• Polish when you don't like how the finish looks.

I think most do a full detail about 2 times a year - during the fall to prep for winter, and in the spring to be shiny for summer.

:iagree:

As needed... in addition to what Mike said above, "as needed" can be dictated not by the car's need but also include your need for some detailing therapy time. :willy:

Thanks for the tips guys, I have another question since Ive seen this posted, whats up with taking wax off? Why would you have to do this?

You want to remove old wax before claying and polishing to keep it from gumming up the clay and polishing pads.

Honestly, I've never had an issue claying over old wax, and the clay will remove the wax, but I still do a quick wipe down with IPA before doing any detailing.

As for clay, I usually do it in the spring and hit the bad spots through the summer and fall. I clay as little as possible since it micro-mars the finish.

Chris

Archived