Customer Service 866.965.0400

matching wax to color

Fit08

Question

What does our seasoned detailers think.... what has your many jobs shown you?

A DD outside 24/7

Looking at this from a shine or whow factor, not protection.

Light colored cars such as white, gray, tan, yellow those colors use Machine Super Wax as these colors don't show depth.

Darker colors use BG possibly and for sure Americana as depth can be achieved.

Now for the protection side MSW is king no matter color but Americana (2 coats) is just as good without cure time and possible better depth.

I suppose looking at this from an individual it becomes muddy as to wether MSW vs MSW+BG+Americana has any true impact to our eyes OR any combinations we come up with.

Yes as Dylan states no "set instone" approaches really exist for paint prep but with those who have detailed hundreds of vehicles must see consisant results for waxs matched to paint I would think.

2 answers to this question

sure... I'll bite. This is personal preference as to the results I want to get.

I typically use Carnaubas on dark colored, non-pearl painted cars. On light colored cars or cars with pearl paint I typically use a synthetic sealant/wax.

Here's my reason why. Carnaubas typically provide a deeper shine, synthetics provide a more wet shine. On blacks I want a DEEP shine so they get a carnauba. On pearl paints or lighter colors I want them to just look dripping wet, and don't really care about depth.

sure... I'll bite. This is personal preference as to the results I want to get.

I typically use Carnaubas on dark colored, non-pearl painted cars. On light colored cars or cars with pearl paint I typically use a synthetic sealant/wax.

Here's my reason why. Carnaubas typically provide a deeper shine, synthetics provide a more wet shine. On blacks I want a DEEP shine so they get a carnauba. On pearl paints or lighter colors I want them to just look dripping wet, and don't really care about depth.

Yes, this seems to be the overall thinking judging by bits and pieces out there. Dylan wrote to a question on black paint and wax which mainly addressed black and is very helpful as well.

Archived