Customer Service 866.965.0400

I Need a new GPS, any opinions?

3PedalMINI

I have a 4 year old Garmin NUVI and it has been great, However it is starting to show its age and its time to retire it.

I use my GPS daily for finding customers homes. My budget is around $249 but will go higher if its worth it.

I HATE using my Iphone/ipad as a GPS (even with an APP) so a dedicated GPS is a must. ive looked at the new Nuvi's but they dont seem to be getting that great of reviews now :(

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

This one wasn't rated too bad, and the lifetime update feature that it comes with would be an added bonus. They are all about the same from what I noticed. I have an older one and it serves it's purpose. I only use it when on vacation.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B00407238G/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&qid=1340595220&sr=8-113&keywords=gps]Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2360LMT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

A few months back, I bought the garmin nuvi 3490. Its pretty expensive but if you use it fairly often, you'll be glad to have spent the coin. It is thin and fairly lightweight, you can carry it in your pocket. It can be used outside your vehicle and the screen is new tech meaning its smaller but still, very clear. Best yet, from the 6 months that I have been using it, I have never had a problem with the nav. It takes me where I want to go and I've never had any issues with the sometime "roundabout" routes. It has voice command and a lot of other features. The maps and software are updated fairly often.

I would highly recommend it.

I used Garmin for a few years and switched to TomTom. My Dad had one before I did and I noticed his always gave better directions and worked faster too.

Make sure you get the lifetime traffic and maps on whatever you go with.

We use nothing but Nuvi's in our route trucks and they seem to work OK. I have a Zumo that I've liked since 2007, but anymore I use my phone.

I know you hate it but...

iOS6 will have nav powered by TomTom and Siri. It'll only work on iP4s or later I believe though.

Chris

A few months back, I bought the garmin nuvi 3490. Its pretty expensive but if you use it fairly often, you'll be glad to have spent the coin. It is thin and fairly lightweight, you can carry it in your pocket. It can be used outside your vehicle and the screen is new tech meaning its smaller but still, very clear. Best yet, from the 6 months that I have been using it, I have never had a problem with the nav. It takes me where I want to go and I've never had any issues with the sometime "roundabout" routes. It has voice command and a lot of other features. The maps and software are updated fairly often.

I would highly recommend it.

This is the one im learning towards the most right now, it IS pricey but as much as i use it i think its worth it. Thanks for your review, there are so many negatives on that one it was kind of scarring me

We use nothing but Nuvi's in our route trucks and they seem to work OK. I have a Zumo that I've liked since 2007, but anymore I use my phone.

I know you hate it but...

iOS6 will have nav powered by TomTom and Siri. It'll only work on iP4s or later I believe though.

Chris

i know, and maybe i can be swayed depending on how good it is. Im already planning on getting an IPAD mount for the work van and use the maps in there since i always have my ipad in the truck for customer info/time etc.

The mini is another story though. :lolsmack:

HEY Brendon, how about a double din head unit with nav installed by yours truly.

:thumbsup:

I use to use stand alone GPS's however I than got my phone and use that. Now I have it built into my alpine which I love even more.

Nope, it doesnt work in the mini which is my primary vehicle for sales/service. not to mention i HATE the UI/GUI that aftermarket head units have for their GPS. And im still not convinced a gps system built into a car surpasses a truely dedicated GPS unit. My dads audi has the worlds "best" GPS car system and im not inlove with it. :rolleyes:

I've got a Tom Tom, I actually have 2 of them. I recently learned that if you can get it to do a full random reset and then plug it into the computer it'll do a full update with the most recent maps. You can still update them normally though for I think 50 or so a year.

I've got a Tom Tom, I actually have 2 of them. I recently learned that if you can get it to do a full random reset and then plug it into the computer it'll do a full update with the most recent maps. You can still update them normally though for I think 50 or so a year.

if you have a model with M at the end, you get lifetime map updates for free.. if it has T you gain lifetime traffice.. ie: XXL550TM

This is the one im learning towards the most right now, it IS pricey but as much as i use it i think its worth it. Thanks for your review, there are so many negatives on that one it was kind of scarring me

I have the nuvi 3490 as well and don't have any complaints (other than the price has dropped $100 since I bought it when it first came out. I should've waited.) One of the nice things about it is that it has a capacitive touchscreen like most smart phones, instead of the resistive touchscreen that most GPS units seem to have. This results in a lot less pressure needed when typing in addresses. It also responds to voice commands so you don't have to type them in at all if you want. I mounted my GPS in my dash so I wanted something that wouldn't go obsolete quickly, and so far I haven't been disappointed.

PA080019.jpg

It looks stock because except for the GPS itself, it's all factory Holden parts. One of the base trim levels of the Commodore has a screen for the radio in that position.

Holden-VE_Commodore_Omega_2006_800x600_wallpaper_13.jpg

I bought the parts from Australia and then it was just a matter of making a braket to hold the GPS in place and then swapping out all the parts. My G8 just came with a useless cubby there that you can still see here.

PA070001.jpg

PA070005.jpg

DSC_2950.jpg