Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drying with Compressed air

RickP330

Question

Hey guys,

I was drying my rims this weekend along with the cracks and tight spots with compressed air and saw what I thought was some dirt in the lower wheel well, so I blasted it with the air and to my horror a flake of paint came off.

I guess I'll turn down my PSI on the compressor and maybe stay away from the rubber/plastic painted parts from now on, but I was just wondering if you have any guidelines for using copressed air to dry. I have a nice long wand with a rubber safety tip on it, I guess I have to do some painting back here now :(

post-437-136817993749_thumb.jpg

Regards

Rick

14 answers to this question

I never thought about turning it down, it's set at 90 - 100 psi for shop tools. No black undercoat for my baby, I'll scuff it down in the summer and reshoot it! But you are right, it probably would have come off anyway, but still no excuse. The paint seems like it adheared poorly there.

RickP

From what I understand most all the air guns are set to about 40lbs regardless of the supply from the compressor, unless you used an open fitting, which would be a direct open line.

No disrespect on the undercoating, just thinking the fender well would look better black.

Later,

:hi:I use a Metro Master Blaster it blows warm filtered air ,works great ! :banana:I added hose to mine so it can stay stationary and just move the hose around .:banana:There is no way it could harm your paint ! Check it out !:2thumbs:

Edited by Chris05GTO

I use to let the water drip from my mirrors and tail lights after drying my vette. It seem to go on forever...

I tried using my air compressor today after washing/drying the vette and I was amazed how easily the water was removed.

I had water even coming out from the side lights :)

Thanks to this forum and Adam's video I was able to eliminate the extra work which the standing water was causing!

Just be careful not to scare anyone but I saw someone really hurt themselves with compressed air. He used to blow dust off himself and had a cut and I will not go into detail but it was not pretty. It happens, so be careful.:patriot:

If you got a potent enough air compressor watch out

Just be careful not to scare anyone but I saw someone really hurt themselves with compressed air. He used to blow dust off himself and had a cut and I will not go into detail but it was not pretty. It happens, so be careful.:patriot:

That does not sound good at all. I hope he was okay though?

As for the paint chip falling off. Even a 100 PSI isn't going to be able to blow paint off unless it had already started to flake.