Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trouble with Flex and FMP

dsmith2013

Question

I'm having trouble polishing using Fine Machine Polish with my Flex. I havent had any trouble with the other two polishes. But the Fine Machine Polish seems to cake up on the paint and just dry out very fast. I didn't have this problem when I used to use the Porter Cable even at a speed of 6. I've tried using more/less product, different amounts of pressure, and adding a shot of detail spray but nothing seems to work.

I guess I should add that I've tried working the polish at speeds 4,5, and 6 with the same result. Also, it cakes up so fast, that I'm not able to work the polish until it flashes.

Edited by dsmith2013

8 answers to this question

did you try cleaning the pad out with a pad brush? sounds like the pad may be getting saturated. I had this happen once today so I did a panel with just a shot of DS and was good to go

No, but this was happening even after cleaning the pads with APC and on the first panel I did.

are you shaking the bottle well before starting to use it?

how much polish are you putting on the pad when you start?

what are the ambient conditions (temp/humidity)?

I always shake the polishes well before using them. I put a small X on the pad as shown in the instructional videos (which are excellent by the way) and prime them with a shot of detail spray. For the temperature, I have the A/C in the garage set on 74 or 76 most of the time, but I am not sure about the humidity.

I think I figured out what was wrong today. It was mainly happening on stuff like the sides of the car, so I believe it had to do with the machine not being perfectly flat against the car. I was doing the roof and hood and I wasn't having any problem.