Customer Service 866.965.0400

Big Mistake Sanded My Windshield Help :(

arvizu360

Question

Hello there guys.

My cousin painted my cars Door since I got in an accident. The thing is he did a bad job on taping the whole car and missed a spot on my windshield almost 40% of the windshield and I got some over spray in it.. the paintjob on the door was amazing but, in a rush while washing my car and going to school, I couldn't find an easier way of removing it than sanding it with 2,000 grit sand paper... Everything when good until it got dark and then I saw my big mistake. The Whole driver side part of the windshield has scratches and swirls all over it.. I tried Severe Swirl and scratch remover for like 20 minutes and no luck or any sign of improvement? any ideas? please help

3 answers to this question

Next time, I would use a razor blade with some waterless wash to remove overspray. There was a topic a while back, about getting out scratches on a windshield. I'll try to find it, from what I remember you need special sand paper type stuff and a solution to do it. Personally I would call a professional.

Edit: Found it, http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/11382.htm

Edited by uranjack

You'll need a glass polishing kit or a new windshield. Adams products or really ANY autobody products won't touch it.

Clay is actually another good way to remove overspray.

Yikes... yep. You'll likely need a bronze wool pad and a cerium oxide type product to even come close to fixing it. Glass is SUBSTANTIALLY harder than paint so products designed for correcting paint won't really do much of anything.

For future reference:

Start with a claybar, when that fails 0000 steel wool and plenty of glass cleaner would be the next step. You should never take sandpaper to glass.