Customer Service 866.965.0400

Faded Clear Coat? Fixes?

indyb6

Question

Hey everyone. A friend visited from South Carolina over the holiday weekend and I noticed this paint/clearcoat fading on his car:

7924473950_9c161b6bb8_c.jpg

I tried searching on adamsforums about this issue, and the only relevant thread I could find was from 2009 where a member's Mitsubishi had similar issues, but she decided to get in touch with Mitsubishi to see if it was covered under warranty. There were no more updates on that thread. I also noticed people mentioning this being common problem with Japanese vehicles.

This car is a 2003 Honda Accord. I doubt there is any warranty left, but I can make him ask his dealer. He recently moved to Charleston, South Carolina and said that this happened within 2 months of moving there. To him, the car is a tool to get from point A to point B and he certainly doesn't take care of his paint. The car is lucky to see an automated car wash once or twice a year. His theory was that this happened due to heat and humidity and due to the fact that his car is parked uncovered outside his apartment complex. I took a picture and said I'll seek the paint care experts' advice :patriot:.

So, I have a few questions for you:

• How/Why does this happen?
  • What are the possible fixes that can be tried at home?
  • How much (approximately) will it cost to get professionally fixed?
  • How to prevent further degradation of paint?

Edited by indyb6

4 answers to this question

When wet what does this look like? Has it been clayed? From the pic it looks like clear coat failure... not completely uncommon with 2003s that aren't protected... but odd he said this just happened... it could also be oxidation... which can be polished out...

• How/Why does this happen?
    • Depends on exactly what this is but I would say proper protection (wax/sealant) after a proper wash is needed

[*]What are the possible fixes that we can try at home

• After a two bucket wash and clay, try using revive to see what it does, then go to SHR, then back down to FMP...

• How much (approximately) will it cost to get professionally fixed?
    • Hard to say, because blending can be done but not the best fic IMHO, so it would mean a respray of at least two panels.

[*]How to prevent further degradation of paint?

• Make sure vehicle is protected with wax or sealant...

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I don't know what it looks like when wet, and no the car certainly has not been clayed. This is the only picture I took, but let me try to describe what it felt like.

It was dry to the touch. There were micro-cracks all over the white areas, but they were not flaky. It almost felt like it was salt deposit, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I have seen other older cars driving around with such paint, so I know this happens to unloved paint.

Unfortunately, he has already left and I can't do anything on the car for now. I will recommend he gets a proper hand wash done (since he doesn't own any washing products/accessories) followed by a good layer of wax. I think it'll be best for him to get in touch with a local detailer to a better idea of what has happened and what it will take to fix the damage.

The picture indicates the start of clear coat failure. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done with detailing products to repair what has already reached this point of degradation.

This is a good illustration of the necessity for proper paint protection for the thin layer of clear coat on most vehicles.