Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car's repainted, how to take care of it?

F150

Question

I know I can wash it with no problems...

But, what can I do to protect the paint, and make it last as long as possible?

I've got buttery and quick sealant, but i'm not sure what to use, while the paint off-gasses.

15 answers to this question

Ask the body shop who painted it how long you should wait until applying wax. It's usually around 60 days but can vary. Until then, especially if its a daily driver, I would just let it get dirty, and then foam the crap out of it when you're ready to clean it up

Edited by GerryC

Gilmour is what I and many others use, they're about $40

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFMR-Foamaster-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346892675&sr=8-3&keywords=gilmour+foam+gun]Amazon.com: Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Really good for strip-washes too, using diluted APC instead of car shampoo

I've always found it to be a matter of some debate about when to wax a freshly painted panel.

Some body shops say that you can wax it from day one, and some say to wait. Others still will actually wax the panel for you before they give it back!

When you talk to different detailing product suppliers, you also end up getting different answers. I heard that Sal @ Zaino, who used to be a painter, said that it's safe to apply their sealants immediately. Some of the staff at Meguiars say to wait, some say it's fine.

My personal opinion is that it probably depends on the paint that was used; hence the reason that it's best to ask the body shop, or better still the paint supplier if they'll let you know who that was.

Obviously the safest solution is to wait for about 60 days, since even if it wasn't necessary, you won't have done any harm that can't be corrected with a very light finishing polish. Watch out for bird bombs though, because they can eat into even protected paint within hours, and you don't want that on your nice newly painted panel!

The general rule of thumb around here is to wait a full 90 days for the paint to out-gas before sealing or waxing it. Feel free to polish after 60, however, waiting the full 90 is your best bet.

Hmm this is interesting. I was asked this weekend by a body shop owner to possibly clean up a Bentley he has been working on from an accident. I was originally going to only compound and polish and avoid selants and waxes all together until 60-90 days.

I'm not sure if I want to do anything besides a light wash on the paint now.

You can sand, compound, and polish to your hearts content almost immediately following a paint job. You just can't apply a sealant or wax for the period of time specified by the paint manufacturer as it will seal in the gasses from off gassing of the paint as it cures and could result in solvent pop or other finish failures.

Well let's not forget that body shops almost always use a rotary buffer and compound after painting anyway, so I don't see any logic at all in waiting before polishing. If the paint is not fully cured, it might be softer and more sensitive to polishing, but if you're careful, there shouldn't be any problems.

Not sealing does have some logic to it, by letting the paint fully cure, but even this is questionable. Most paints these days (to my understanding) do not air dry, and cure by a chemical reaction process. There might be some gaseous by-products of the chemical reaction still taking place for a few weeks after it appears cured.